Shading - only weldment

I think it is not possible (yet?), but before asking for a ER I'll ask here.

I want to make things a bit more clear for our welders so I want a view where the parts are drawn with lines and the weldment is shaded. I thought it would be a matter of a few clicks, but I can't find this possibility.

Any idea how to achieve this easy, without using the hatch function?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
3 REPLIES

Re: Shading - only weldment

I presume from your description that you only want the actual weld itself shaded rather than a collection of weldment parts?

Regardless, I think you can achieve this by setting all of the parts that you want drawn as lines only as reference. By default that will make them phantom lines and reference parts will not shade. Change the line type for reference lines to visible and turn shading on for the view and update the view.

I tried it setting the parts as reference by right clicking on the draft view rather than changing the part status to reference in the assembly model. That should give you a view with only non-reference parts shaded and everything else solid lines. However, it may impact your part list. I did not check that.

Not a one click solution, but depending upon the size of your weldment, it should not be too painful.

HTH,

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

I checked, and by default reference parts will not appear in the parts list. However, you can manually switch them back on in the parts list properties. You may also need to change reference hidden to hidden for line type. Depending upon the size of your weldment it might be just too much work.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Thanks, but to complex.

Now I solved it by using hatcht:

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user