Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal - Contour Flange from a Curve

Genius
Genius

Hi All

I am trying to model the fabric parts of a contoured cushion for seating. I need to produce a drawing for each part that is in effect a flat pattern. These flat pattern drawings will be used as templates to cut out the fabric and will also show any stitched hems required.

There will then be an exploded view assembly drawing showing how the parts get stitched together. In this assembly drawing, the component parts should take on the approximate form of when they are stitched together.

I am working with the thought that I need to be working with .psm. I can create the side panels without problem by using a combination of ‘Lines’ and ‘Curves’ to create a sketch and use it for a ‘Tab’.

Then my problems begin… My intention is to copy and paste the required part of the sketch from the side panel into a new .psm and create a ‘Contour Flange’ from that, but it appears that the sheet metal environment can’t cope with ‘Curves’ in a sketch because I get the message ‘Invalid contour flange profile’. So it appears that the ‘Tab’ function can cope with ‘Curves’ but not ‘Contour Flange’; is this correct?  I can create an extrusion in .par by offsetting the sketch profile to give a thickness and use for an extrusion, but I can’t seem to get that into sheetmetal to create things like hems and flatten etc.

I may be missing the obvious, but does anybody have any suggestions? See attached for clarification. Thank you.

585 ST9 Win 7
9 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal - Contour Flange from a Curve

you can actually simply model the 3D Body then use the Blank Body Command.  

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Genius
Genius

Thank you Matt. I think that is a solution that will work. I thought I had tried that, but maybe I hadn't got all sketch elements tangential.

One further question though, I know my target dimensions of the flat pattern and it doesn't matter what length the formed profile finishes up at. Is there any way I can drive this length dimension from the flat back into the formed profile? I don't imagine there is but thought I would ask. I imagine it will be a case of trial and error with the originating sketch. Smiley Frustrated

585 ST9 Win 7

Genius
Genius

I have realised that I do have a problem with Matt's suggestion. I need to create draft views of the part in 3 states - No. 1 in the flat pattern, No. 2 in the flat pattern but with the hems formed and No. 3 in the formed state.

No. 2 is to show the sewing machinists where to sew the hems after the material has been cut, before it is formed into shape and sewn to the other parts.

I have got No.1 and No. 3, but can't think how to get No.2. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

585 ST9 Win 7

Pioneer
Pioneer

Have you considered a multibody part for the variations?

Yikes...   this is certainly not the strength of SE.  could you get there...   maybe,  probably...  but you are delving into Upholstery and/or Softgoods development...  that's a completely separate industry...    remember that Solid Edge is a Machine Design Software package... 

watching this thread to see what comes up...   lots to learn in this space.

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Genius
Genius

@MattJohnson_PG

Yes, I realise SE isn’t ideal for this, but I don’t believe I need to go into great detail with the drawings. I have attached a couple of drawing views for one of the cushions I have in progress.

‘Seat Cover Parts’ has Item 01 in its flat state for cutting out and below, shows it with the hem that has to be sewn before assembly of all parts as shown on ‘Seat Cover Assy’. The same .psm file is used for the assembly drg and the flat pattern. At the moment, I have a completely different .psm file for the view detailing the hem; ideally I would like the hem detail view to be generated from the first .psm.

It isn’t the end of the world if there isn’t a reasonable way of achieving this, it just isn’t such a neat solution having 2 .psm files.

@rbhaskincan you expand slightly on your suggestion to use multibodies… I am probably overlooking the obviousSmiley Embarassed

585 ST9 Win 7

what about an ETCH...   could yo simple ETCH the hemline into the psm?

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Phenom
Phenom

You could consider the hemmed part to be a seperate filename than the unhemmed one. If you do that you could have the part flat have hems in one and completely flat in the other.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Genius
Genius

@nominus38Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think that is what I will finish up doing. It would have been nice to have a single file to represent all part states.

585 ST9 Win 7