Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Drafting Templates.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am in the process of setting up part & drafting templates. I am very happy so far with my templates for parts & assemblies.

I was trying to set things up so that lasered sheet metal parts could have their document number etched automatically. I have created a template sheet metal part which I would be able to modify to make future sheet metal parts. I have placed a little text block in the corner of this part linked to the document number. Unfortunately the etch command doesn't allow me to select the text box, only a text profile & I can't link a text profile to the document number, is there a workaround for this in the sheet metal or drafting environment?

Also, in the draft environment; I am used to having bend instructions inserted automatically at the bend lines (UP 90 Deg, Radius 2.6MM etc), is this easy to set up in a solid edge template, or are bend tables the best option here?

Solid Edge ST10 MP8 - Windows 10 - K2000
4 REPLIES

Betreff: Sheet Metal Drafting Templates.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DaveG

try to answer Your questions:

• AFAIK - and I have logged an Er many years ago regarding exactly to the same, tehe is no method or function to have an linked property text within a text profile (has nothing to do with etching only)
    So You only can enter and change this text manually
  • And to bring bend informations onto Your draft the bend table command (with or without a table, that's on You, is the easiset way to have this info on paper

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you, the linked property text is as I suspected.

I wasn't aware the bend table command had an option to leave out the table. It works exactly as I want it, thanks a million!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

By using the gage table I get the sheet gage to apear in the parts list. But I do this in a gineric fasion because the part could be cut from any size sheet or scrap of that thickness. %{Gage|G}

But this will not help you get that etched into the part. If I remember right, Sean is the expert at the etching stuff, perhaps he has a thought. I really like the concept. If we ever get a laser, I will want to do the same thing.

Bend tables have been a sour point for me since I first used the software. When I evaluated the software for a week I noticed that bend tables were built in. I thought for sure there would be a way to get back gage and stick out into that table. How wrong I was. I have to go through tons of work to get that done. Attached is one of my sheet metal tank design templates. The file is set up to both re-size(plane driven) the sheet metal tanks and be tolerant of gage changes(gage table).

The attached file is numbered from an IR. Worth a look since you are learning how to set up sheet metal files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing @12GAGE.

I have read some of your past posts about how you use planes to drive design adjustments, but it didn't make sense to me until I had a play with the assembly you sent, adjusting the plane positions works very well for adjusting the parts (even the baffles).

I like what you've done with your drafting template, it makes very good use of the page. Unfortunately I am seeing this after I have spent over a week working on templates. I will revisit them in the future & make them closer to your format.