Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Flanges

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all, I am having an issue that I need some help with:

* When I have a single tab and I place a bend (45deg) along the tab I can create a contour flange along the length of one of the edges with closes corners and the flanges in the same plane (Picture A) . I would like to be able to do this on a part with a slightly more complex shape.

* When I rotate the part and create a normal cut at an angle (20deg) Solid Edge no longer alows me to create two flanges with a closed corner? (Picture B) Has anyone an idea how to overcome this, I have been many many parts with these styles of fold and would have thought it was a fairly common design feature.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, J

2 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal Flanges

Genius
Genius

Hi

If I am understanding correctly what you are trying to do, I believe it would create overlapping material in the flat and that is why you can't do it.

585 ST9 Win 7

Re: Sheet Metal Flanges

Legend
Legend

If you're using the contour flange tool, it won't work accross the bend if the edge you're using isn't 90° to the bend line. The bend angles would need to be different if you wanted to keep them on the same plane (co-planer (i think)).  I'd create two contour flanges from opposite ends and edit the end condition to keep them from crashing.

-Craig