Sheet Metal Help

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am new to Solid Edge and I have been watching youtube videos to do the basics stuff.  I am trying to create a box that is not fully enclosed.  The top has four horizontal flanges that meet at a 45 degree angle.  I have tried to cut out the edges to make them 45 degrees, but that didn't work.  I have tried to used the contour flange then used the chain option to create the four flanges that didn't work, also.  It only worked when the chain are one line and not multiples.  I drew the first flange for visual aid.

Also, I am trying to make a simple bracket by watching youtube, but is there a way to make the bottom flange touching the other two side flanges inner edge to inner edge.  I took a couple screen shots to help visualize what I am trying to explain.

Box

it is just a box.png

Bracket

bracket.png

Bracket Detail View:  Is there a way to make the two black corners meet so there are no space between them or at least being able to make the two vertical edges aligned vertically?  The inner bend radius is .030"

bracket detail view.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal Help

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

What you're looking to do is not normal in sheet metal design, as the CAD model requires clear material away from those junctures.

As a workaround, you could add material to the tabs to extend them,....there are a few ways to achieve this. The workflow differs slightly for either Ordered or Syncronous.

It also pays to make a flat pattern of the model, to check that the new features will still allow it to unfold correctly.

The box, I would draw the base rectangle as a tab, then make the four side walls with chained contour flange [this makes nice water tight corners by default...plus has other settings], and finally, add the internal flange from one edge.

Take a look at a couple of methods I tried quickly, as below for your bracket. 

My result in Synchronous......

ST8_PSM_SynchContourFlanges.png

...and my result in Ordered......[using "unbend" and adding material as required]

ST8_PSM_OrderedContourFlanges.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your reply.  That helps knowing the limit of what Solid Edge can do so I don't have to hunt hour and hours for something it can't do.  I tried your method for the box and wow that was easy.  I guess it also depends on my method of approaching the problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Glad to help.

I think all 3D CAD would have this "virtual world" limitation, where in the real world, the material would deform &/or tear to conform to the space allocated for the fold....but you have to tell CAD software quite precise parameters in order to represent it graphically. I work heavily in the sheet metal environment, so can relate to your experience, with work flow discoveries.

Sometimes the design approach can also vary, depending on the method in which you will manufacture the component. [such as, laser cutting vs. hand shears....etc]

Rest assured there is a wealth of knowledge within the members of this forum....and all are willing to help in whatever way they can.

Welcome to the SE Community,...most of all, enjoy your learning experience with Solid Edge.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry I don't have time to help more.

A few details to look at:

Bend radius

Close corners

Also, stay in ordered for sheet metal. It becomes diffucult to do many things in sync sheet metal until you get very familiar with the software.

In general, make a tab, add flanges. The flanges allow editing of the ends at 45 deg.