Solved! Go to solution

Sheet Metal Partial Cut

Dear all,

can someone help me on this problem I have on a 10mm Sheet Metal plate ?

I'd like to partially cut an area on the corner of the plate but the system doesn't allow me to do it.

Can you suggest me the way to do it in Synchronous / Sheet Metal ?

The first picture is the situation where I am and the second one is the desired result.

Regards

Marco

9 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal Partial Cut

Try to "switch to" part environment, make the cut and switch back to sheet metal.

Marc

Thanks Marc for your answer.

So, with this, you are telling me that is not possible to partially cut a plate staying in Symchronous and Sheet Metal environment ?

Marco

From what I have seen, sheet metal is a shell environment where you have a zero thickness and thus can not modify anything thickness wise.

Can you explain better, please ?

Just after to have created my "tab sketch", I gave to my plate 10mm thickness and Stainless Steel material using this path : Properties -- Material Table -- Gage Properties tab.

I wanted to create that "step" cutting partially my plate to weld another plate in that area.

Go to Application Button (top left corner the round one), switch to - Part. It will open part environment where you can create a partial cut.

Hi,

thanks again for your answer.

Yes, I knew that could be the possible solution (in fact the second picture in my first post has been obtained in that way)

The matter was if this would be possible to do it keeping the Synchronous and Sheet Metal environment.

Marco

Apparently you have to do it in ordered. In fact, it works if you just switch to ordered instead of switching to part mode.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarcoK74
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Marco-

When it comes to the sheet metal environments (and this applies to the several different CAD systems I work with) the type of features you are applying are not traditional sheet metal features but are "secondard" machining operations. In those cases, as it has been explained you are required to exit the sheet metal environment and perform "normal" modeling functions.

Most people tend to forget that "sheet metal" environments in most CAD systems are straight break sheet metal. Some can handle creating punch features but will then have issues generating flat patterns for those features. Material stretch and thining is usually not handled by most CAD systems. There are some systems that can handle this but they are not using a standard straight break rules and require progressive dies or other types of manufacturing processes.

"Shell" was mentioned earlier. This is a process where a CAD system utilize a mid-surface definition and then the material thickness is applied to mid-surface (or a specific side). In Sheet metal one of the key rules is constant material thickness. When you apply the secondary operations you are violating this key rule. That is why you need to exit the sheet metal environment to add your features. Like I mentioned this is the same with at least 3 other CAD programs I have worked with.

For your reference here are a couple rules that you will find most sheet metal environments use.

1. Constant material thickness

2. Tangent faces between features (this can happen after converting from a prismatic shape to sheet metal or importing from other CAD system)

Ryan

You don't have to exit sheet metal. Just go to ordered.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200