Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Sphere Etching

Genius
Genius

The below scene is my final goal.  I am able to subtract the tool from individual sheet metal pieces.  However in order to form in press brake machine these should be etched lines that can be cut out manually at a later time.

Is there a way to project the tool as sketch lines allowing me to use etch command.  Ultimately getting a flat pattern with the scene being etched.

I am attaching a zip file of the original files I have gotten up to.  The subtract function has been left out to limit file size.

If there is a better way to accomplish this I am open to that as well.

Thanks,

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert
7 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal Sphere Etching

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @cmaxwell,

I wonder [not had time to test this on your data set, of course] if you can make the Boolean Subtract work, then could just, in the "Flatten" model state of each segment, duplicate the cut edges in a sketch, then add the material back, to then place the etching feature.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Genius
Genius

Hi @SeanCresswell 

I was actually hoping that would work as well.  I am able to flatten the part all the way up to the Subtract function. Once that function completes I receive the "body contains disjoint regions".    I have tried to "blank body" the part with no success.  

I have tried "unbending" as well.  Had intentions of adding material back in.  No luck either.

I understand why Solid Edge is giving me the error.  Looking to see if i need to approach this challenge in a new direction.  I am certain there is a solution out there.

All input is appreciated.   

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

@cmaxwell,

As to the "body contains disjoint regions" error.....I get this too, on some signage items I work on, and adding thin bridging tab pieces to them, fixes that. They should then return to a functioning sheet metal part again.

Sean Cresswell

Genius
Genius

hi @SeanCresswell

i can add the bridge strips as tabs for items that are on same face.  How do you do it when material is gone over several bends?  Please test when you have time.  I will keep working on it.

Thank you

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

@cmaxwell, ah well, that is a pickle you have there. Robot surprised

I was going to suggest a contour flange, but can't get that to work. Robot Embarassed

Seeing as you have the luxury, maybe look at modifying the tool model, to have the bridge tabs in it, before the subtract is done.

Sean Cresswell

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I hope you managed to solve your challenge. If not here is a video about steps. The key is Intersection curve command...

After this you have 2 ways the split face and etch. Not always but it works...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Genius
Genius

@Imics  thank you for the information.  

That has solved my issue.  I appreciate the video

@SeanCresswell  thank you as well

I appreciate all the input and help solving this issue.

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert