Solved! Go to solution

Sheet Metal question

[ Edited ]

Teach me something.  I just started a new full time job using Inventor (boooooo) after being on Solid Edge for the past 5 years.  Im gonna go ahead and tell you I HATE it but its paying the bills right now so i cant complain and it pays well.

With that said, I was inpressed with one feature in sheet metal that I was wondering how SE handles.  the following brackets holds a cooling fan for a computer.

Then cut goes through the bend as shown and what I want to know is how can you get it where is is right at the bend line or slightly below so when the brake grabs it there is not a little bit of material that shrooms up?

In Inventor I was shown a feature that when in sketch mode you could "project flat pattern" and from the face you were normal to it would vitually unbend the sheet metal so you could see where bend was and place the cutout in a good location as to work with the brake good.

I know about Normal cutout to cut through the bend as that is how I done this one, but I want to get the bottom of that cutout right at or slightly below the bend line...  I have attached the part file as well

Capture.JPG

9 REPLIES

Betreff: Sheet Metal question

Hi @lifofadrafter

maybe I haven't understand You completely, but for me this sounds like an "Unbend - Vutout - Rebend" procedure in traditional or the "Cut - Wrapped Cut Option" in Sync

20170806_1938.PNG

20170806_1939.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Ok, once you unbend, is there wa way to show the bend line on the model?  All I see are the tangent edges

Hi @lifofadrafter

OK, sorry, this question I haven't understand.

What is Your question, what do You want to get, what is the indent?

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Sheet Metal question

I guess I'm not sure exactly what you want to achieve here. An unbend will do what you ask I think. But if you want it slightly below the bend line you don't even need to do that. Just use normal cutout, then tie the sketch to preferably the midpoint of the bended location, and the cutout will eliminate all the material all the way to the tangent of the bend. Or if you want it to go through half of the bend use unbend then do a cutout then rebend.

unbend.PNG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Thats exactly what im asking, i cant get it to show the bend location when unbent, just the tangent points of the bend.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author lifofadrafter
a week ago

Hi @lifofadrafter

Yes, but the bend line is in the middle of the bend area (tangent lines)

So You also know exactly, where the bend area will be and where the center of that bend area is.

Will this info not be enough?

regards
Wolfgang

Yeah I just use the midpoint of the edge of the bend.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

@nominus38 I use the same method also, but, there are cases where "Midpoint" is not the actual center of the bend, when the shape doesn't lend itself to that [rough example below]....in which case, I generally add a construction sketch line [between the tangent lines] to use as positioning.....would be helpful if there were an option to display bend centre lines, in the Unbend & the Flatten model states.

PSM_Unbend_LocateCutToBendCenterline [NoEasyMidpoint-2].png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Yes I agree. Also when it comes to lofted flanges, I mean if they want us to use triangulation then I need to be able to modify the flat and use those bend lines to constrain and or dimension to. Otherwise I have to modify it in the draft environment, which doesn't make it so that the proper cut size shows up in my BOM.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"