Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Size Property in Drawing Border

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is the sheet size accessable as a property that can be used in the drawing border?  I am trying to automate the sheet size (A3, A2, A1 & A0) in the drawing border.

I can find the propoerties for Number of Sheets, Sheet name, Sheet number and Sheet scale, but not Sheet size.

Clive Coomes
Design Engineer
Solid Edge ST10 (Version: 110.00.11.004 x64)
Laptop: Dell Precision 7530, 32Gb Memory, Nvidia Quadro 3200, Windows 10 x64
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sheet Size Property in Drawing Border

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I get this. Sheet size is a reflection of the real world size of the background sheet and is therefore a "hard coded" entity on the background. Why would you want, for example, "A3" on an "A0" size background?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Bruce,

I don't want multiple or the incorrect size on the sheet, just the actual sheet size.  On an A3 sheet it would show A3, on an A2 sheet it would show A2 etc.

The sheet size can be selected through the sheet setup dialog box, so it existings within Solid Edge.  Attached is an image of where the sheet size is selected.

The reason I am doing this is I am using blocks in the Sheet Background as they are the same across each sheet size, but in a different layout.  If the sheet size property can be accessed by a call out, this would mean I can use the same block across all sheets and not have to have a slightly different one with only the sheet size being different.

Being able to access the sheet size should be a simple task and not buried within the coding of Solid Edge.  It is very simple to display the automated sheet size on a title block in inventor, so I struggle to understand why something so important and mandaotry for drawings is hard to access in Solid Edge.  I can hard code it on to each background, but that just seems like taking a step backwards and is not really the basic idea of modern CAD software.

If I have to do it manually then so be it, but just seems hard to do something so simple and important for drawings.

Clive Coomes
Design Engineer

Hi @CCoomes 

I do not see this as a big or even as an issue.

As mentioned by @bshand  You simply can place a fixed text onto every backround sheet.

As they must be defined anyway, and as the border also must be drawn on every sheet You also can place this small little text onto every sheet.

And this has nothing to do with the usage of a block for the title fields.

This can and IMHO should be a block with appropriate infos in it.

Place the text above that block will help and solve the problem.

Nevertheless using the sheet size as a callout also would be great

So Yes I'm with You in that issue too.

regards
Wolfgang

How about leaving a blank area in your block and manually put the size in you backgrounds in your template?

Here we don't even show drawing size no matter what size we use. It's sort of an anachronism IMO from the era of manual drafting.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

You can add callout for sheet name, so why not have your background sheets named the same as the sheet size, and then the sheet name callout on your drawing will be the sheet size.

Hi @Trikefreak 

the problem IMHO here only is, that the sheet name will be that one from the foreground sheet rather than the used background.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Ahhhhh, it does change to the sheet name when I close the background. What a bummer (egg on face).........

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@CCoomes  I ran into the same thing where I didn't want to maintain mutiple blocks . What I did is use a block label . See video   I know it is not an automatic property but .......

(view in My Videos)

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have spoken to our re-seller, and they have confirmed that this is not possible to add the sheet size automatically with Solid Edge.   Which I find completely amazing...

Further to this, it has now been changed into an enhancement request under number 9498396

To get round the issue, I have manually added the sheet size to each background.

Clive Coomes
Design Engineer