Sheet metal - Contour Flange

I receive a .x_t file from our wood bending supplier.

I make a part with part copy to this .x_t file.

Than I make a sheet metal part with a part copy of my .par file.

The sheet metal file is to draw my foam. So I do an include of one side, buth SE won't do this...

Am I doing something wrong or should Siemens solve this?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
11 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal - Contour Flange

odd,

try to project or intersect it, see if that will work...???

Intersection:

http://i.imgur.com/qtWWmOv.png

I really do not see why this won't work. It is just an ordinary 2D bend...

...........................................................................................................

I think Contour Flange only accept arc and line as input.

Maybe your intersection curve or included edges are a spline.

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

i f you are only trying to accomplish the include, project or intersection and getting these errors  outside of the countour flange command then i would submit an IR to GTAC and send them you file and steps to reproduce...

Hi Joris,

Looking at your image, the included edge does appear to be one single element, indicating it is indeed composed of a spline, and as @Michel_Corriv says, only two profile geometry types [Lines & Arcs] can be used here.

Are you able to share that file, with your included edge, here?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

From the Solid Edge documentation:

The Contour Flange command constructs a series of part faces connected by straight, parallel bends. You begin by drawing a profile (a connected string of lines and arcs), and then project the profile to form part faces and bends.

You are all correct, it is not a line, nor an arc.

But hey! I need this, and it is something simple. I really can't believe SE is stopping me to draw something that is perfectly possible in the workshop.

Siemens is there to tell us all they have software that can read other file formats and use it in SE, but when I do I receive this ridiculous "go back and draw some simple lines and arcs".

Joris,

Of course there is a way to do this in SE, just not immediately in the bounds of the Sheet Metal environment....what you need to di is "Switch to Part" to extrude that profile as a surface, then thicken it to represent the foam pad, you can then "Switch to Sheet Metal" and use the "Blank Body" command to obtain a flat pattern.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi,

Everybody is right, but...

I've tried to reproduce these steps. If the imported body is built from "ruled surface" then you can make a sheetmetal part from the original part what can be "foam".

Of course you can create flatten part after transforming to sheetmetal part!

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/