Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal corner problem.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

About 3.5 years ago, Imic's demonstarted a process that would allow me to solve sheet metal corner problems. But at the time, I was not able to understand it because I would new to SE, and the menu's of the vid were not in english. So I never really did get anything out of it other than knowing it could be solved.

I hope somebody can chime in or Imic's can show me the process again. He manually filed in the missing material somehow that would make both the correct flat and bent part from a single file. This is my goal.

Attached is a simple sheet metal part. I want the bending done as shown. And I want teh flat pattern to turn out just like the initial tab was sketched.

The problem is: sheet metal bent 2 ways. I can only get sheet metal bent two ways using close corner commands. But close corner commands prevent me from creating the falt pattern as desired.

In the attached file, suppress the second bend. The sheet metal removed durring that bend is what I want back in the flat pattern. This is a simplified example to focus on the problem. The real life versions of this problem are much more complex.

27 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal corner problem.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Betreff: Sheet metal corner problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

maybe I have not understand Your request correctly (sorry if this is the case) but You can add a tab in the flat pattern state too

For me the result looks indentical to that You have shown, but exists only in th flat model

20171223_1202.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi @12GAGE Does it refer to this? If I'm not wrong, the topic you say is the following:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Difficult-sheet-metal-corners/td-p/...

I hope this resolves your doubt.

Thanks.

Regards.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

All replies to not actually solve the problem. Close, but not really.

The goal is the following:

1. Flat pattern is square w/ single chamfer

2. Bent part shows actual finished dimensions created by the flat.

3. The chamfer passes through the area where only close corners add material.

Here is what makes this difficult. The finished part must show up correctly to check weld gaps to other pieces of sheet metal the part is to be seal welded with.

The flat pattern must show up right for automatic exports of flat patterns.

Currently I can only accomplish this using two different parts (One for flat, and one for bent) and I have no way of showing the weld gaps to the finished part. That's the impossible portion of the work. 

If I could add the last bent without altering the flat, all of my problems would be solved. But the software would need to be able to bend sheet metal in two directions.  

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

I think You should explain Your intends with a drwawing or picture to show exactly Your requests.

Only with reading is hard for me to understand what You want to get.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I want the part that is originally posted to be bent up with two flanges AND have a flat pattern exactly the same as the starting tab.

the TAB: under everything in the file except the first sketch and tab

the bends: The bends are in a location where the second bend forces material to be removed from the tab. I want that material back......but no other changes.

When all that is done, I want to see how that tab would bend up so that I can inspect welding gaps to other parts.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

and this is what I now am not longer being able to follow.

Sorry for that inconvenience, but it also is a matter of not being an English native speaker.

So what exactly do You mean when saying, the start tab with two flanges should be the start tab as flat pattern?

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Open the posted part. Undo all except first sketch and tab.

That is the flat pattern I want.

Add two bends that are part of the sketch. I want those bends.

Now make the flat pattern the same as the starting tab.

Then show the finished part as it would actually turn out to see welding gaps.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

but is this not exactly what we have done in earlier post, when creating the tab for the flat pattern?

regards
Wolfgang