Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sheet metal corner problem.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That's even more notching. I'm trying to get from a square cut to a 45 deg cham. Each stroke of the punch adds up over 100's of tanks. I can get the square cut in the middle of the cham you show down to very small. But even that does not work if I want to use automated exports to flat patterns.

That's the problem I am trying to solve, I don't want the square notch in the chamfer.And it just so happens, to get the welding gaps right, I need that cham to pass through the seam of the close corner.

And like everything I work on, this is one small piece of the the puzzle for re-sizable sheet metal tank assemblies.

This feature in paticular  would be used on every tank we build if I can find a way to make it work.

Legend
Legend

@12GAGE

I assume you're all shear/punch and break?  Avoiding or do not have laser/water jet/plasma?

would a single 90 deg knotch work or you need or much prefer straight shear?

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

We use a Punch for 12 gage and thinner carbon and all aluminum

We use a plazma for 10 gage and thicker carbon and all stainless

Both are currently manually programmed from dimensions in my drawings. We have plans to get nesting software within a year. A laser is about 3 years out. Our next upgrade is an updown folder vs. the only up folder we have now.

The 90 deg square notch is what I am trying to replace with a single chamfer for many reasons in order.

1. better welding gaps

2. Easier to fit lid into tank parts

3. less punching strokes

4. Easier to draft

Legend
Legend

Oh man! once you get the nesting software you'll be happy, although it brings with it another set of demands for the dxfs you create.  Then when you get a laser it will blow your mind, all this stuff will be out the window.

In the mean while, is flange -> unbend -> cut(straight shear) -> rebend model flow ok with you?

Edit:

I think the attachment gets a pretty tight corner, but it's aweful hack.  There is a tiny (0.0001") notch in the model, the dxf resolution settings we have actually cut a tiny bit off so it looks clean from what I can tell.  The rebent model is ugly, but probably the best we'll get in the sheet metal environment.

Edit 2: I just noticed that I saved the dxf with the Rebend, rolled back.  The rebend wrecks the flat pattern.  I don't think what you're asking for is possible, if so I don't know how.  Since the dxfs are read manually and not by machine you might be able to convince them to ignor the little notches?  If getting your dxfs to be perfect and clean is super important then perhaps one of the proffesional developers here can write a macro or something for you.  Tushar and hawcad among some others here are good at that.

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I use "unbend - cut - rebend" on about 20% of my parts with no issues.

I have considered exactly what you are doing as a work around. Leaving a very small square notch, then letting the DXF resolution hide that notch.

I think you are right, what I'm asking for is impossible to do. It's crazy to think that the software that is best at sheet metal design in the world (Among mid range modeling software) is not cable of a close corner from a flat with a 45 deg cham in it. on the surface it's a very simple design. And this just makes me mad as all hell. I'm grasping and screaming for a solution.

Because this can't be solved without a work-around, I have to give up and tell the people in the shop people that what we want to do is not possible inside CAD. 

Thanks all for the help and attempt at solving the problem.

Genius
Genius

Hi @12GAGE, unfortunately I get to the same point, I hope soon solutions your problem, success.

Corner_01.jpgCorner_02.jpg

Thanks.

Regards.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The last picture of Kanwolf is the goal.....IF the chamfer passed through the 2 way corner.

Genius
Genius

Hi @12GAGE, I hope it was your help. Smiley Very Happy