Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal from part question

Genius
Genius

I have a part that I want to create a multi part sheet metal model from. It appears that I can only create a sheetmetal part if it has a bend in it. Unfortunitly there is a face that I want to have as a sheet metail part that has no bends in it. It is simply a flat plate. Is there a way to create this from the part?

Many thanks for any help.

Sheet Metal plate.png

Neil...

6 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal from part question

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Neil_H,

Of course, actually there are several ways to accomplish this....but from the image, it looks like you're trying to do too much in one go.

The way I can think of, would be to insert part copy of your current design body as construction, using as a master model > create a copy surface > swith-to-part for thicken > switch-to-sheet metal for transform thin part to sheet metal.

Maybe post the file, if you are having trouble.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My guess is that your problem is with the basics.

A flat plate is easily a sheet metal part. All you need is a single tab from a sketched outline on the plane (I work in ordered). Another step that is not intuitive is that to get the Cut-X and Cut-y for the part  to show up, you flatten the part (even if it has no bends, pick any side & edge).

Genius
Genius

THnk you both for replying to this message, I replied by email expecting it to com through tot the forum. Unfortunitly it appears that it does not function in that manner.,

I see that I was trying to do too much with one process, I am used to doing it in Solid Works. After your sugestions I created a linked part and it was very simple to create the part required.

Thank you both for your help.

Not sure how to mark this request os solved.

Neil...

Hi,

You can do it in one and the same document too if You want, using multibody design.

I just tested it here, having a part body, create a second sheet body and a single flat.

Go back to the frist (activating) and using convert to sheet metal but having the "keeping the construction body" option on.

This creates a construction body for both of my sheet bodies.

20160127_1124.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Wilfgang,

I tried to follow your steps but could not repeat the process. Then I stumbled upon a tutorial that mentioned that to add a sheet metal part to a part model you first select add body command. From there is was very easy.

I greatly appreciate the help,

Neil...

Wellcome!

I'm happy that I could help!

regards
Wolfgang