Sheet metal part copy custom properties flat pattern

Does anybody know if there is a way to keep solid edge from creating a custom property of the flat pattern cut sizes when doing a part copy of another sheet metal part? It's getting kind of annoying now I'm having to back track and fix all my cut sizes which means I'll have to change and reprint about a fourth of this job I'm on and need out the door by today.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
25 REPLIES

Betreff: Sheet metal part copy custom properties flat pattern

Hi,

as just tested I have found the option field witihn the flat pattern options dialog to turn off the creation of dimensions and variables.

20160831_1933.PNG

The only I have seen is, that if turning off this after a flat pattern was created, the variables get only a value of 0 but still keep existing.

If You have turned off this a create a new PSM with flat pattern then no variables are in variable table

regards
Wolfgang

OK,

just found that the 2 varaibles for the old flat pattern came from two dimensions.

They are not visible after deleting the flat pattern but You can select them in the variable table and then You can delete them too.

Afterwards nothing more does exist pointing onto the flat pattern size

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Maybe I wasn't clear on this. The problem I am having is that when insert a part copy of a sheet metal part, it automatically creates custom properties that match the part I inserted. So when I go and flatten the new part, and try to expose the flat pattern variables, it won't allow me to because it's already got a custom property with that name, so the flat pattern will read the same thing as the part I inserted as a part copy. In order for it to allow me to show the cut size I now have to delete that custom property, then I can expose the flat pattern but I have to delete that property first. Does that make sense?

I end up getting this when I try to expose the flat variable...

variable.PNG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, I can't duplicate your problem. What is the exact workflow?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Every sheet metal part gets a Cut_X and Cut_Y. If the part is a mirror or copy, it is still attached to the origional Cut_X and Cut_Y

Note: Cut_X is actually: Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX

To avoid that problem, I spend the time to make any part mirror from scratch. If the part is a true copy, then the origional can be used. If it has ANY changes from the origional, I remodel from scratch to have it's own values. Just one of many limitations of SE.

Not sure I follow. I have a test psm with a flat pattern. I open a new psm and insert part copy in ordered. I open the variable table and I see "flat_patter_model_cutsizeX (and Y)". both values are zero. I do a flat pattern, then values are positive numbers. What is the problem with this?

Bruce Shand

The problem is that you can't expose those flat patterns because it already has a custom property with those exposed names. So when I insert a part copy, it's exposing the values from the part that was copied. If I make any cutouts to that part copy, those values no longer reflect the actual part cut sizes. I have to go in and delete those custom properties in order to expose the correct variables.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, IDK. I can't duplicate.

Bruce Shand

Well that sucks. I would say that it must be just in ST9, but this happened to me a couple of times in ST8 as well. Oh well, I'll just remember to delete those custom properties whenever I  first insert a part copy.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"