Sheet metal part wont flatten

Experimenter
Experimenter

i have drawn a part in sheet metal and folded it, i have modified it while it is folded but now i cant get it to unfold into the flat blank again. any suggestions?

17 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal part wont flatten

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Greg3,

This typically means, a feature has been applied, that does not comply with typical sheet metal proceedures....such as cuts not perpendicular to the thickness, usually through bends is where it is critical.

Can you upload the part file?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

hi Sean,

Thanks for you reply. I did have a hole through the bend but when i deleted the hole, it still would not work. i have attached the original file for you to have a look at. Please treat this drawing as confidential!

reagards

Greg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Greg3,

No worries.......but I am puzzled as to the actual cause, I wonder if it didn't occur when the mirror feature was added. See how the spanning tab merges with the bend region, it appears to extend beyond the boundaries, into the plastic zone.

2016-09-12 (1).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi,

I think that this is some internal problem in synchrnous sheetmetal environment.

I removed mirrored features. If I used feature "Tab 4"  to define flat pattern, flat pattern was not created. If I used feature "Flange 8" to define flat pattern, it flattened correctly.

But this above was only quick test, maybe problem is elsewhere.

Ota

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I don't use Sync....at all. But I looked at the part and have a suspect for you. Attached is a screen shot with circles around the problem area.

In general two things create problems with flattening:

• Small holes in 3 way corners
  • Cuts that stops anyhwere through the plastic zone (in the bend radius).

both are huge problems for me. The only work around I have found that works for the cuts that stop dirring a bend is the flatten...cut...rebend workflow. No work around for small holes in 3 way corners.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
There's a few ugly steps on the holes in the bend as well. As 12GAGE alluded to above it is often better to unbend and then tidy the geometry up with cuts as appropriate and then rebend again. But that requires the Ordered workflow as far as I can tell. I never use Sync either.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was not aware Sync could not unbend. Another of about 20 "Gotchas" of Sync and why I avoid it compleatly.

I would make the part again from scratch using orderd for that very reason.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Yes, I was just looking for a sync unbend command while I had that file open and could not find one.  I was not particularly surprised, as when you think about it, the unbend command is more for work-arounds to replicate the manufacturing process - and that seems to go against the grain for sync workflows which tend to look at the "finished product" rather than how you are going to make it (where ordered shines a whole lot better).

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Well put.

All I do is present how to make sheet metal. Guess that's why I hate Sync.