Sheet metal process question

MLombard
Retired

I received a question from a forum member, and he wanted me to share it with you all to get some collective wisdom:

We have sheetmetal parts with threaded inserts Etc. In Solid Edge are these components treated as an assembly  or 2 sub-assemblies or is it a multi-body a part file?

The pic below is a layer based assembly in my main cad program Keycreator but I’m teaching myself Solid Edge ST9 and how do others using Solid Edge handle stuff like this.

large.jpg

My response was:

You can do it either way, it depends on how you want to do your documentation/partnumbers, process diagrams, assembly documentation, etc. I think the sheet metal process standard response would be to do this as multibody and callout the positions/directions of the inserts on the appropriate view(s)  of the drawing. I'm a plastics guy myself, but I've had to deal with some of this.

So what do you all think? How do you document PEMs or other sheet metal inserts?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.
11 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal process question

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If it's not an assembly then you can't auto generate parts lists for one thing. It would depend on how your organization document such components, of course. I'd personally prefer to use assemblies and insert fasteners with descriptive properties from a library.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

From the photo it looks like he has two sheet metal parts that are assembled and then the threaded inserts sometimes through both pieces.  For part re-use purposes, each part modeled separately and assembled in one assembly.  You could do this in a single part file using multi-body and then use the Publish option to blow them out individually and a Insert Assembly Copy for BOM/Parts List purposes but may end up with a lot of copies of the same part if duplicated (threaded insert?)  I would model each separately and just assemble in one assembly file.

UPDATE: Zoomed in on the image and it is one sheet metal part.  Doesn't change my answer though...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I do this via assembly also.......usually maintain the same file name, as the single components, but loaded with the nutserts, bosses, or other such welded/clinched fittings that can't be manually removed, like bolts, etc.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Creator
Creator

Thx for your input, here is a pic of the 2 separate sheetmetal parts with the PEM inserts shown pressed in place. So I would consider these as 2 sub-assemblies combing to make a 3rd and final part?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bhaskin,

Yes, ....for us, that is spot on!

Each company has a different view on it, as to how it is used or documented downstream, but for me, this [2 sub's - 1 full assy] is the most logical way.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

I agree with Sean. We don't do any fabricating here, it all goes to sub-contract. We would create an assembly for use on the fabrication drawing which includes PEM inserts etc. This would then be used as a sub-assembly for the higher level assembly, which would include the fasteners we fit here, such as nuts, bolts and washers.

585 ST9 Win 7

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I use the assembly method as well.  I give the assembly with PEM hardware etc. has the same name as the sheet metal part.  I used this method long before multi-body came out.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Bruce,

Would it be possible to assign attributes to the solid bodies and the use a table to create a pseudo parts list? This is how GM handles their multi-body part files.

Phenom
Phenom

Assemblies. Piece part and the sub assy that includes the PEMs. You will be punching and forming at one station and then applying the 'inserts" at another. For inventory purposes you will need to keep track of the quantity of inserts. just my opinion. If you stock or shelve the smd parts without the inserts then you will more than likely need to have separate part numbers for smd parts and "finished" parts.