Sheet metal - thickness - Multibody Design Inquiry

Legend
Legend

Hi All,

I am facing a problem with multibody Sheet metal parts.

When I am adding a new body there is no possibility to change the material thickness.

Could you give me please some advice how to do it ?

thank you,

Untitled.png

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP12
;
11 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal - thickness - Multibody Design Inquiry

Phenom
Phenom

I believe that's a deliberate choice by Siemens that all the SM bodies have the same thickness, so if you would like something different you'll have to do an enhancement request. 

What's your use-case? i.e. you'll only get one flat pattern out of it so you can only have one 'fabricated body' unless you're doing something interesting..?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A different thickness would mean a different material. Unfortunately, bodies in a multi-body part can't have different materials. I wish it weren't so.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Hi,

My design intent is to use the same material type ( Stainless Steel ) but with different thickness for each body.

From design point of view we should have a chance to change the thickness of each body.

Regards,

Arek

;

Phenom
Phenom

The material thickness is also a parameter in the variable table - so I doubt having different thicknesses would be possible.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'm no SM expert at all but in the case of a MBP it makes sense to me that the OP's request should be possible. One of the main uses for a MBP is so you can design in context of other bodies/parts. If we consider the MBP as a control part for a published assembly then I would think different thicknesses of sheet metal parts makes sense?

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have encountered a few cases where having the capability of different materials in a MBP would save some hassle. I wanted a part that could reflect the mass of different materials. As it is I had to create assemblies (the hassle part) to do what was needed but I didn't need assemblies other than to accomplish that.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Why not just make them in the part environment, then after publishing the individual parts go into each and convert to sheet metal at that point?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Hi @nominus38,

thank you for response,

Well, this is another trick / different way we can use to achieve our targets - but it is not a solution to this ''bug''.

There is no ideal world, so we have to keep fingers crossed for getting access to change the thickness in another release ( maybe ).

Regards,

Arek

;

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

arekkul wrote:

...but it is not a solution to this ''bug''.

Not really a "BUG" though, when it is clearly working as designed!.....you'll need to work in the context of an Assembly, to achieve what you want to do with different sheet metal part thicknesses.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000