Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Should I consider the wire harness module?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I started some conversations with our electrical engineers about considering an E-CAD program in the future.  This seems to be the way forward since it will keep better coordination between electrical and mechanical activities.

Here are some other questions:

1.  I see that Vesys is for vehicle wire harnesses.  Is it strictly for that or can other connectors etc. be used?

2.  What solutions are available for routing ribbon cables?

3.  We use a lot of ferrules when attaching wires to Phoenix blocks.  Are there libraries available in ECAD or is this something I would need to create on my own?

The switch to this will be a more long term project for budgetary and learning curve reasons, but I think it's something that needs to be explored.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Sorry I've taken so long to get back into the conversation - more wire harnesses to document.

I also got a CNC router I've been trying to get for a few years and have been getting it up and running.  Cutting flat patterns with it for prototyping will save me hours of time.

Anyway, Mentor Graphics seems to have a lot of products for design.  I see Capital and Ve Sys among them.  What are the general features of them?  Ve Sys is stated as being for vehicle harness design but can it incorporate all of the connectors I mentioned in my first post of this thread?

Also, what is the ballpark cost of Ve Sys?  We have 3 electrical engineers.

Thanks,

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A few things...

Capital is a high end PCB design system. They also have a Mainstream one, called PADS. But I think you don't want either of these -- you need wiring.

Vesys is the mainstream wiring product. I don't know pricing, but this type of tool is typically $7-10K/person -- Probably sounds like a lot, but it will totally change the productivity of your engineers. We just signed up a new partner in the US that distributes this -- IM me if you want a contact.

In a previous post you mentioned you use Cut and Strip machines. Solid Edge Wire Harness does automatic cut and strip output that you can customize to match your machine. You should take a deeper look at this -- could be huge.

PS> You can get a Solid Edge eval license, which is Premium, and therefore includes Harness if you want to give it a go.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Kyle, I would encourage you to look at the functionality in Solid Edge for Wire harness.  Let me know if you have any technical questions or if I can be of assistance.

Ronnie Conerly

Product Manager - Routing Applications

Thanks
Ronnie Conerly
Product Manager, Solid Edge

PLM World Member Phenom

Has anyone ever used this product?

https://rapidharness.com/

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Dan-

Can the SE Free 2D output a net list from the block tables?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Nope. Only from true ECAD systems.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good morning Kyle,

I wanted to check in to see how you have made out with your module?

I am tring to bring Harness into my place of work but i am finding it very hard to get answers to problems i run into. I have only been working with harness in the manual sense. we currently do not have any electical software to export into SE. 

One question i have for you is, how do you setup your asm's for the harness? Typically we need a P/N for each harness so we can submit drawings and BOM's to our vendors for harness creation. Because SE does not recongize Harness as an assembly it's self, I have been creating sub-assemblies for the wires and related vendor supplied parts like most connectors. Where i run into an issue with this is when the wires attach to parts not vendor suppied. In the image below, I would have created a sub-asm where i would have created the wires and moved the connectors into it. so the issue is trying to connect the ballast and wire ties that would reside in other sub-assemblies within the same top - level assembly. how do you get around this?

By nature of our product we offer many different options with in the same product lines. so our files are constructed with many sub-assemblies. this image below would be one of many options. but when i created this i was not planning on creating a purchased wire harness. so i was able to run all my wires at this level. Now i need to move them under a p/n of there own so i can purchase the wires and connectors. any idea how i would move the wires? I guess that is another question.

Thanks for your help.  

Capture.PNG

Nathan M. Gardner

https://www.etsy.com/people/NathanMGardner

Be sure to check out my work!!
Made in Maine Wood Carvings

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Nathan,

I have not had as much time as I would like to explore the wire harness module.  I've spent the past year-and-a-half converting 4 of our machines from Cadkey 99 to Solid Edge ST10.  It involved re-modeling hundreds of parts and creating hundreds of drawings.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back into the harness module.  Your situation with harnesses sounds similar to mine.  We also build the harnesses as subassemblies and they must tie into other assemblies for mounting or even connectors.  I am interested to see what is possible when transferring wire harnesses to their own subassemblies.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kyle,

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you run into issues with trying to attach a wire end to a part that is buried in another subassem? That is a constant issue i see happening all the time with me. I don't know how to work around it or if there's some setting i need to change. any input would be great. And thanks again.

Nathan M. Gardner

https://www.etsy.com/people/NathanMGardner

Be sure to check out my work!!
Made in Maine Wood Carvings