Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoulder pain from mouse, Stylus?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is anyone else having shoulder pain from using a mouse?  No amount of ergo adjustment seems to help.  How about using a stylus like the Wacom Intuos?  Anyone using this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES

Re: Shoulder pain from mouse, Stylus?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Woodman,

Yes I did, but years ago, I changed my office chair to one with adjustable height armrests, and have them set just below the desk top surface......that has worked for me.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Exactly,

In my opinion the most important thing:

- Free hanging down arms with only wrist support and low good friction mouse pad. Good ergonomic chair with low (or removed) arm support is the most important thing. Monitor height, its distance etc.

Chairs actually wear out quite fast.

Some links to this:

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/ergoguide.html

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2018

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My solution is to have the typing/mouse surface as low as possible. I shoot for 25 to 26" off the ground. Most desks  do not go that low. I use pull out drawers or old desks with the old typing level extension on them.

The other important things here are the mouse and keyboard them selves, and the chair you use.

I like "daskeyboard" and Logitech G700

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1. Desk keyboard shelf height of 25" inches is bit too high for me, but it relates to my favorite knee height, the overall height of the person etc.

2. I had G700 5 mouses for my office, home and laptop bag, but got rid of them about 5 months ago because of middle finger pain.

After searching for its replacement, I noticed that lots of manufactures went away from scroll wheel button with side shift, really 4 function on one finger, which leads to the to high use of this finger compared to other fingers.

Bought 5 Logitech G602, without side shift, which takes the new button customization and person's memory adjustment and my middle button pain is gone.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2018

Phenom
Phenom

@Woodman First off, go make sure you don't have a torn rotator cuff! If that is not the case, then yes, get yourself setup with some ergonmic equipment. If you have a decent HR group, if you mention the words "carpel tunnel" or "rotator cuff" they will, my experience, immediatly get you setup correctly. It's less expensive for them to do this then to pay of the insurance cost associated with surgey and recover time! 

A stylus for CAD design, in my opinion, is not, generally, a good idea unless you are only doing an hour or two of work. You just don't have the functionality that you get with a mouse. 

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

About 10 years ago I had so much pain in my hand and arm I couldn't use the mouse anymore.

I started using the mouse with my left hand and ordered a wacom tablet.

Now I work for 100% with a tablet (bamboo fun at work and intuos 3 at home). It is a perfect alternative for the mouse and the pain is gone. 

The mouse is still here (office) at my left hand, I sometimes use it to pan and zoom in autocad while I draw and select with my right hand with the pen.

At home the mouse is gone. So, for me a wacom is not for 'about 2 hours work a day', but for 10 hours of use a day.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2019 user

Good morning everyone,

Maybe a bit off topic...regardless of what furniture or equipment you use, I believe that there’s no substitute for regular exercise. Even more so if you spend long hours in front of a computer.

7-8 years ago I struggled with severe lower back pain even with an ergonomic chair. I almost gave up on playing golf again and sitting long hours was painful. With 2 hours of Pilates each week since then I can go months without pain and my handicap is down to 6.

Regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Experimenter
Experimenter
good advice, I do spin class but that's not much for the upper body. thanks

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks everyone for the advice, adjusted my work station and considering a tablet/stylus.