Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Show dimensions from elastic parts in "parts list"

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm working with elastic parts in an automated project and I would like the main dimension of each part to appear in the parts list.

However I can't find a way to put a different formula in each row of the parts list.

I also can't simply make the main dimension an exposed variable of the part, because it's an elastic part and the dimension in the main file is different than the dimensions in the assembly.

Does anybody knows a workaround for that?

I tried to use formulas in individual rows of the parts list (example: %{Var_0001}), but Solid Edge reads all my formulas as TEXT when I put them in the cells.

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Show dimensions from elastic parts in "parts list"

Legend
Legend
I don't know of any clean way to do this beyond the following which is what I ended up doing.

Go into draw in view for those parts and put a dimension on the part, put that dim on layer auto-hide, and make an annotation call-out that references that dimension via %{varname|V} and place it over the BOM section for that value.

As I said, ugly but as it is now the BOM in Solid Edge does not handle formula or variables.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@nanan00 

I thought about that, but then I have another problem.

The parts list is sorted for material thickness and process before going to production, meaning that the dimensions should rearrange alongside the list (which the callout can't do).

I'm currently using a workaround in excel... but I wish there was a way to make it 100% inside solid Edge.

I mean... Why can't I write formulas inside a cell in parts list?
For me it seems like the software should be able to handle that, or am I missing something?

Legend
Legend

We use adjustable parts often, and have similar issues, as well as others. I've worked with our seller, and they have suggested going away from adjustable parts, and using frame environment to create those varying sized parts.

We are already many years into parts already created, so not really taken the leap to try a different route. Maybe for someone starting out, this could be more feasible?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'll take a look into the frame environment, thanks.

And yes, I'm currently working on the first project that uses elastic parts in this company, and so far everything was going smooth (I was even able to manage the flat patterns for plasma cutting in the elastic parts), except for this problem I just found out in the parts list... Which sadly was the last step into finishing the project Smiley Sad

The structure I'm modelling is a sider trailler that has a lot of parts that are basically standard shaped, however they have different geometries from each other, and the connection between them would get weird if done with framework.

If no solution for my problem exists, I'll have to weight the pros and cons of going into framework.

Legend
Legend

Sadly, we might not be talking the same thing, after reading your latest response. Our adjustable parts are usually extrusions, and we cut that to specific lengths. Rather than create new part files every time, we use the adjustable extrusion. But in doing so, it doesn't give us the amount of material required, without setting it manually.

It sounds like you are making adjustable sheet metal parts. I don't think I'd do that, knowing the restrictions that come along with using adjustable parts. But, that's just from my experience, and how our system is setup.

Pioneer
Pioneer

We are using it for a specific kind of product that follows a set of rigid logical rules (but has too many possible combinations of size, lenght, number of columns, etc), and adjustable parts turns 2 hours of modelling into 15 minutes of computer processing and revision.

The only problem right now is finding a way to show dimensions in parts list.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

Why don't you put assy's variables in BOM? You have to overwrite cell of elastic part and link variabels from assy.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks, this was really helpful.

The language in the video really confused me, but 'I'll try to implement it and see how things go.

I didn't really get it... You used a callout inside a parts list?

Pioneer
Pioneer

@Imics 

I've understood the video, but I still havent figured out how to write formulas in the parts list.

In the last part of the video, the guy simply copy/paste the variable into the sheet and it appears the value.

When I do it, it only appears %{V4300} 

And the video doesnt explain how make the parts list editable.