Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Show dimensions from elastic parts in "parts list"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

The key thing is at 9:16. Double click on the table and go to left upper corner and rigth click "Show property text". And right click on cell what you want to override.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

thanks very much.

This workaround is doing the job.

Yet I wish there was a way to pull dimensions from elastic parts within the context of the assembly, rather than having to directly link cells to an exposed variable Smiley Sad

Legend
Legend

Just tossing it out there: is there anyway you can build your assembly with sketches, and your parts are driven by those sketches, rather than having adjustable sheet metal parts? That way your parts will update when you create a new size/configuration assembly, and the sheet metal parts update and work as "normal" for your BOM?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Interesting.

I didnt even know you could build assemblies with sketches.

How would that work?

Is that what they call Top down modelling?

Legend
Legend

I can't explain it in a short paragraph, and I'm at work, but here's a video I found with a quick search. Maybe it will help you find a direction that would work with your application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLfpDwN0vo

I design airboats on the side, and my hull is all driven by sketches in the top assembly. I can type a few dimensions, and my parts will adjust accordingly, using sketches and planes.

Pioneer
Pioneer

But using this top down method I'm not able to have my parts modify automatically based on the assembly. Which was the point of using the elastic parts.

I tried to use syncronous and create sketches using the geometry from other parts, but the link is lost after the sketch is created.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @PFJ 

remember, that in Sync sketches never ever will drive 3D geometry.

So when working synchronous, then use the dimensions of the 3D model itself and not from 2D sketches.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Sorry, I didn't think to note that I'm doing this in Ordered environment.

It works pretty slick, if done right, in the right situation. I can adjust length of my boat, the bow length will adjust with a formula from the overall length of the boat. My sides of the boat have different height from front to rear, the parts adjust automatic when I type in a couple dimensions of my assembly.

Pioneer
Pioneer

When you need to make a new boat, it requires you to "save as" all the changing parts before you start to edit the hull, right?

Otherwise, how can the software have the same part have different dimensions in two different assemblies without being an adjustable part?

Legend
Legend

That is correct, any new part that is needed, requires a new part number, like all normal situation.