Show flattened pattern in draft

Hi,

I've figured out how to flatten a surface of a solid part. How do you then show that flat pattern in a draft?  Also, can you include sketch entities on the flat pattern and show those in draft as well?

Thanks

9 REPLIES

Re: Show flattened pattern in draft

[ Edited ]

When defining the view in view wizard. See attached.

I don't think there's a way to change an existing view to flat. Or is there?

As for showing sketches in a flat pattern view, after a quick test, it seems not.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

We don't have the Sheet Metal add-on for ST7.  Is there a way to do it without Sheet Metal?

[ Edited ]

Isn't sheet metal (.psm files) standard? I've never heard of such an add-on.

Now I must apologize. I didn't notice you said a flattened part so my post about showing a flat pattern view may be irrelevant?

How do you flatten part surfaces?

Bruce Shand

I just selected the Flatten Model Environment, then select Blank Body, and it allows you to select a face to flatten. The result is a flat pattern entity.

Sorry, I was under the impression that Sheet Metal was an add-on. Perhaps I need to transform the part to Sheet Metal first?

"Perhaps I need to transform the part to Sheet Metal first?"

Yes, I suppose that might work.

Bruce Shand

Hi there,

Depending on what license you have will govern if you have Sheet Metal included in Solid Edge.....but the addition of the "Blank Body" command allows for a bit a design freedom.

You will not however, be able to do the things you'd expect, such as to do to a true unfolded "Flat Pattern" without the Sheet Metal environment, especially to then show it in draft.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Create Blank only exists in "Solid Edge Classic" and above. So if he has Create Blank, he has the rest of Sheet Metal.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

dcstaples wrote:

Create Blank only exists in "Solid Edge Classic" and above. So if he has Create Blank, he has the rest of Sheet Metal.

Oh, OK....good to know Dan.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Simple steps, general desription.

1. Create part. using manually entered sheet values, or the gage table for reusable combinations of thickness, bend radius, and K factor (location of neutral axis). The K factor thing can get complicated.

2. Flatten part. This creates a flat pattern based on all the information of step one. One currently limiting factor is that cutouts and holes may not start or end in the middle of a bend. If this is the case, the flat will fail.

3. Expose variables. When you flatten the part, you will notice the overall X and Y dimensions of the sheet. Those two values are automatically created and available for use. To use them, you have to go to the variable table and click the expose box next to those variables to make them available in draft.

Note: Most uses edit the sheet metal file template so those variables are already exposed.

4. In the draft environment, use the view wizard, and there are two commonly used options. One to display the finished part, the other to display the flat pattern. They use different Icons you select after starting the view wizard.

5. If you  desire, there is an automatic "bend table" that requires some set up.

a. The bend sequence can be edited

b. the bend sequence with angles can be displayed. Each bend gets labeled with this tool.