Show variable table on draft?

Builder
Builder

Hi,

We have a special request here to show the variable table or a section of the variable table on the draft. Seems to be impossible. Any body know if this is possible?

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
16 REPLIES

Re: Show variable table on draft?

you can expose variable...

so i assume you could expose all of them adn then create a table and pull in this data...???

Builder
Builder

There's no callout properties in the table comands..you cant set the data to show the exposed variable. We've avoided the problem by creating a callout positionned in the table by hand. This works and the callout updates as per the variable changes but there must be a way to have the table directly linked to the variable table?

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Builder
Builder

We have contacted technical support and we've been told that it is not possible and this will be submitted to siemens as an improvement notice. Unless someone here knows better than our technical support Smiley Happy

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Phenom
Phenom

A macro to create a Solid Edge Table from an Excel Sheet is available.

You can first copy-paste the variable table to an Excel sheet and run the macro which creates the table in Solid Edge.

See this video on how to use the program:

If you need a direct Variable Table to Draft Table macro, let me know.

That would be easy to do.

The macro can be downloaded from the blue links at the bottom of this page.

Essentially, this macro can create a Solid Edge Draft Table out of any selected range in Excel and is not restricted to simply Variable Table creation.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Builder
Builder

Does it update automatically to the excel file?Is it linked to it?

Thanks.

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Builder
Builder

from what I can see by using it , it clearly does not. It wont be much help if it isnt linked to the information in excel. But thanks.

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Phenom
Phenom

That's right. It reads the Excel first and then creates a SE Table. No links.

Meanwhile, I copied cells from the Variable Table and tried pasting into SE Draft. But nothing happens.

The copied cells from VarTable do go into the clipboard and I can paste them into Word, Excel, properly formatted, but they won't simply paste in SE Draft.

~Tushar

Builder
Builder

We find it supprising that you can't just call the variable table to show up on the draft. Many if not all designs are run with specific variables,it would be greatly useful to have the possibility to show those important variables on the draft so you have quick reference to them once the drawings is printed.

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Phenom
Phenom

You need to use a parts list not a table.

If you expose the variables in the parts you can create a parts list then format it to show the variables.

The exposed variables will appear in the Properties list on the Columns tab of the parts list properties dialog.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.