Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing an adjustable part's length in the part list

Pioneer
Pioneer

I created an adjustable part.  The length of that part is what is adjusted.  I put the part into an assembly and the dialog window appeared, asking for the assembly variable to drive the part.  I put a scalar value into that field, because I do not want to have to set up assembly variables.  When I go to the draft I added a column to the parts list to show my adjustable length.  Here is where my problem happens.  The parts list displays the value of the length in the part file and not the adjusted value in my assembly file.  Is there a way to display the adjusted value?

I found an old discussion on this and the answer was it could not be done.  I'm hoping that is no longer the case.

16 REPLIES

Re: Showing an adjustable part's length in the part list

Legend
Legend

Answer is still no as you are trying.

The only way to do it is to tie a PIM to the part in your assembly and expose it then use that PIM value in your BOM via code like this  %{V31641|V} where the v##### is your PIM value.

The down side is the BOM is all or nothing in SE, all rows will get this same value displayed... bummer.

Legend
Legend
We use a few adjustable parts, and you have to go into the occurrences of that part to show the length. BUT, it's because we use it for a 20' length of flat bar, or length of wire. We put the amount of that 20' bar, or feet of wire in the occurrences, and it shows on our BOM.

Not sure if that is any help, just explaining how we use adjustable parts.

Phenom
Phenom

@Trikefreak -

Is this an adjustable part, but with non-graphic part properties for quantity and units ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

This would be an easy work around.  However, I simplified the problem a little by saying the part's length adjust.  The part's width also is adjustable.  In short, I'm trying to display the cutsize of a part in the assembly drawing.

Legend
Legend
@beachcomber , not sure I understand your question. But, I can use an example: we have wire ways that we purchase in 20' lengths, and cut to size as needed for assembly used. We drop that .par file into the assembly, and it asks for the desired length. Now, to show our BOM correctly, we need to know how much of that wire way (think raw material) is used for this assembly. To get that report from the model, we adjust the occurrences of that part file.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Trikefreak wrote:
@beachcomber , not sure I understand your question. But, I can use an example: we have wire ways that we purchase in 20' lengths, and cut to size as needed for assembly used. We drop that .par file into the assembly, and it asks for the desired length. Now, to show our BOM correctly, we need to know how much of that wire way (think raw material) is used for this assembly. To get that report from the model, we adjust the occurrences of that part file.

That custom occurence property value (like length) is input manually? Or can it be derived from a dimension?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend
I've asked that question in the past, nobody replied. It's the one negative of adjustable parts, but it beats having hundreds of files to create each individual size needed.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Trikefreak wrote:
I've asked that question in the past, nobody replied. It's the one negative of adjustable parts, but it beats having hundreds of files to create each individual size needed.

The question being "can it be derived from a dimension"?

So I assume you currently manually enter the value.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Add a PMI call it L. Attache that to the changing length.

Display L in the parts list.