Showing hoses for manuals

I now need to make specific hoses to show in some manuals. Is this something I should just muddle through or should I insist on using Harness design.

Moving to harness design would cost me two upgrade steps since I only use basic right now. So about an additional $1.5K to $2K per year cost. That amount is not a big deal if it give me any real advantages.

I would only need to model say 10 to 20 specific hose design.

Every demo I have seen for harness design does not cover creating hoses, only electrically oriented. Most of our control are pneumatic switches and air lines.

13 REPLIES

Re: Showing hoses for manuals

If a hose occupies more than one plane it's a good app for 3D sketches.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Always. hoses are very 3D.

But the question is: Is harness design setup for to create a data base of hoses and ends? Or do no problems come up when the runs are not electrical?

I don't think it's worth it unless you are in the business of designing hoses often and it didn't sound like you would be.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

Eventually yes. We actually manufacture our own hose assemblies. I.E. we just put ends on existing hoses that we cut to length.

So in the long run, it would be used. But I was not planning on getting to that for two+ years (another two years of sheet metal parts to create). This issues is just putting a fire out because a manual is needed.

I don't even want to get into what is needed for assemblies, welding, etc. I'm still fighting the uphill battle of creating flat patterns and bending tables for everything we make.

Our assembly area does not get drawings. 

EDIT-----

Very related question. How do I copy or move a 3D sketch from an assembly to a part?

One way might be to create a derived curve off the 3D sketch and then Inter Part Copy that curve into the part.  Would that work for you?

Yes that works. I was just hoping for a way to copy and/or move 3D sketches between files and could not find any method of getting it done.

Note: I have yet to get into reuse of features, are sketch copies part of that work flow?

In general I create sketches and planes. Then drive everything (tabs, flanges, features) from the planes and sketches.

If you dont want to go the the expense of harness/XpresRoute you could possibly muddle through with frames.

I've created an assembly for a hose, positioned the ends as required then joined up with a frame.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

12GAGE wrote:

Yes that works. I was just hoping for a way to copy and/or move 3D sketches between files and could not find any method of getting it done.

How about just copying the part or hose assembly and adjusting the 3D sketch to the new end points?

Bruce Shand

12GAGE wrote:

Note: I have yet to get into reuse of features, are sketch copies part of that work flow?

In general I create sketches and planes. Then drive everything (tabs, flanges, features) from the planes and sketches.

In assembly you have the "Copy sketch" tool that is very powerfull.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:index#goto:create_partSmiley Tongueshsktch1c