Shrink Wrap - We are Listening

Phenom
Phenom

The session hosted by Dan Vinson: 'Part/Sheetmetal - We are Listening' was a major hit at SEU 2015 and the Numero Uno feature demanded was 'Shrink Wrap' - with the idea of being able to save an assembly out to a single body with just the outer surface and without any internal details - as I understood it.

I think, now is the time to grab an opportunity and add all ideas and suggestions to this feature since developement has it on their list at the top position.

At least one topic exists on this feature as a reference.

42 REPLIES

Re: Shrink Wrap - We are Listening

this tools does a good job of shrink wrap.  i've tested it with a few different assemblies and was surprised and pleased with the results.

http://edgepublisher.com/

Phenom
Phenom

I would think many vendors of equipment would want to use a function like this. I get files of compressors, pumps, valves, etc... from some vendors. Others either don't want to or are not capable to delivering 3D models. I just need a space holder and mounting point match up with the part. I dont' need all of the internals that is basically giving the design away.

Many don't give out models so that the design can't be copied. This would be a good work around as long as the file is small and not to many polygons. The balance between primitives and polygons I think is the real problem with any attempt at this.

A compressor is a perfect example. I just need the envelope and mounting, and any attachment points for lines. It also needs to look good for sales models.

I have a very strong computer just so I can work with vendor models during design of new equipment.

Genius
Genius

@12GAGE Exactly.  I work for an OEM that used models from vendors that make motors and gearboxes and incorporate them into our equipment.  We definitely can utilize a function like this.  In fact, my boss has been asking for this functionality in Solid Edge, especially recently.  I downloaded the EdgePublisher today and gave it a shot was very impressed with how well it worked.  I only wish it could somehow recognize interior surfaces and fill them as a solid.  Perhaps it can but I am just learning to use it.  At the very least, it looks to have saved a lot of time so I can go back with Synchronous and finish what we need.

Hopefully this functionality becomes built into Solid Edge soon.  For now, EdgePublisher will get us by.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Phenom
Phenom

@Fritz The simplified assembly functions allows you to do this kind of thing - it'll look through the model and select internal faces to be hidden and then you can override it to explicitly hide or show parts. This can then be exported to send to a customer for example.  

It's a bit of a pain to use and it will only really export a surface model rather than a simplified solid model but it does at least give you something you can send on.

Genius
Genius

I agree this a must have tool!Man Happy

It would be good to have some control on the level of detail produced by the shrink wrap, for example to include internal faces or not, 

ensuring that the shrink wrapped version can be easily converted into a single STEP file body that can be easily imported into 3rd party assemblies.  

Genius
Genius
@Alex_H This is true but I've found that simplified parts and assemblies alone can be very time consuming to go back and setup when you have very large assemblies versus the time for the shrink wrap function in other software.
Brian Fritz
ST10 latest MP

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Yes, this would be a great enhancement, I've already logged this...

ER ticket number: 1806037 (& join me)

A real example from my life, where this would be cool:

Measuring painted surface... Now this takes very, very long time. You have an complex assy, but we have no tools to measure its outside "painted" surface...

There is a manual method now, but this is not efficient:

Here I had to use surface modeliong, simplified assy, etc...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Genius
Genius
MattJohnsonPAC

Could you tell us how to use it? I have tried to register the program, put the email returned file into the programs folder and start it up and it still doesn't work. I have sent emails to the developer and not gotten any reply.

Genius
Genius

Edge Publisher User Guide

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21461544/Getting%20Started-02.pdf

Updated Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22492703/downloads/media/Getting%20Started-02.pdf

If the link goes bad again, go here: https://edgepublisher.com/downloads/

Then in the Documents row, there should be two links.  One is a flyer, the second is the Gettings Started.  Getting Started provides more information for setting up Edge Publisher.

Worked fine for me.  I placed the license file in the Edge Publisher folder which was in the Programs (x86) folder.  That shouldn't matter since you have to point to the license file anyway.  Have you tried opening Edge Publisher and clicked the Application button (top left) and selecting New License and pointing to the license file you saved?

Brian Fritz
ST10 latest MP