Silent install Solid Edge ST10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am running Solid Edge ST9.

I need to run ST9 and ST10 at the same computer.

What is the procedure to do a silent install?

Regards,

Geir

ST9
Surface Pro 4
5 REPLIES

Re: Silent install Solid Edge ST10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Please review the Solid Edge ST10 readme file -- all of the details on performing a multi-version install and performing a silent install can be found there.  From that readme file....

Multiple Installations

Multiple versions of Solid Edge are now allowed to be installed concurrently for testing core Solid Edge in a non-production environment. (Add-on products, such as Mold Tooling or Teamcenter Integration for Solid Edge (SEEC) or Solid Edge SP will not work.) The older version(s) must be installed first, and then ST10 must be installed silently. To switch between versions, you have to activate the version you want to use, and this is done with a new program called “SESetActiveVersion.exe”. The program is located on the installation media in the folder \Solid Edge\SptTools\SESetActiveVersion. You can run the program from any location. In the dialog box, select the version you want to use then select “Activate”; when the dialog box goes away the selected version is ready to be used. If a maintenance pack needs to be applied, be sure to activate the appropriate version of Solid Edge prior to the MP installation.

Note: Multiple version installations are not supported for production use. GTAC will only verify problems using a single version installation, as well as Development will only address problems that are reproducible using a single version installation. Multiple version installations are to be used only for comparing basic Solid Edge functionality for the purposes of demonstration or pre-upgrade testing. If you need to run multiple versions in a production environment Virtual Machine configurations are the recommended method. When moving to production, we recommend that you remove all versions, reboot the system, and then install a single product version.

and

Silent (or Remote) Installations

The following is a complete command line argument set for silently installing Solid Edge. Silent installation needs to run from an elevated command prompt (such as, command window "Run as Administrator"). Setup no longer supports the use of the ADDLOCAL property. All arguments should be enclosed in double quotes if there are spaces in the paths.

MSIEXEC /i "J:\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST10.msi" MYTEMPLATE=2 USERFILESPECXML="C:\temp\My Docs\SEAdmin\Options.xml" USERFILESPEC="C:\temp\My Docs\SEAdmin\selicense.dat" SETPDMCLIENT=1 INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Silent Solid Edge" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log"

The string “J:\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST10.msi" represents the fully qualified path to the Solid Edge MSI file.

The MSI Property MYTEMPLATE indicates which templates are to be installed. If no value is specified, Solid Edge uses the setting from the Standard.ini file. The default in the Standard.ini file is “Auto”. For “Auto”, the templates will set based on the current user’s “Region and Language Format” setting.

(1) METRIC
(2) JIS Metric
(3) ISO Metric
(4) ANSI Inch
(5) DIN Metric
(6) UNI Metric
(7) ESKD Metric
(8) GB Metric
(9) ANSI Metric

The MSI Property USERFILESPECXML allows the user to optionally install a Solid Edge Admin file. The user should supply a fully qualified path and filename.

The MSI Property USERFILESPEC allows the user to optionally provide a license file that setup will copy to the Solid Edge Program folder at the end of the setup.

The MSI Property INSTALLDIR is used to specify the installation folder for Solid Edge.

The MSI Property SETPDMCLIENT is used to specify the PDM client activated with Solid Edge.

(1) Built in data management
(2) Teamcenter Integration for Solid Edge (SEEC)
(3) Insight
(4) Solid Edge for SP

The MSI Property ADDPDMCLIENTMENUS is used to specify the PDM client menus activated with Solid Edge.

(1) All
(2) Teamcenter Integration for Solid Edge (SEEC)
(3) Insight
(4) Solid Edge for SP

The argument "qn+" instructs the Windows installer to provide NO user interface and alert the user at the completion of the setup with a dialog box. Refer to the Windows help system for further information about Windows Installer arguments. Leaving this argument off the command line will display the setup user interface with selections made and fields provided. Note: if you are using this option some installations that require user interaction could fail.

The argument "l*v" tells the Windows installer to create a log file of important messages, warnings and errors and write it to the location provided, in this example, C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log. If you have silent installation errors, add the following argument to your command line and review the resulting log file: /L*v "%TEMP%\install.log"

Here are more instructions for using the /L option (note that the path MUST exist): 
/L [i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] Log file 
Writes logging information into a log file at the specified existing path. The path to the log file location must already exist, or the installer will not write the log file. Flags indicate which information to log. If no flags are specified, the default is /l*. 
i - Status messages.
w - Nonfatal warnings.
e - All error messages.
a - Start up of actions.
r - Action-specific records.
u - User requests.
c - Initial UI parameters.
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information.
o - Out-of-disk-space messages.
p - Terminal properties.
v - Verbose output.
x - Extra debugging information.
+ - Append to existing file.
! - Flush each line to the log.
KB2555189"*" - Wildcard, log all information except for the v and x options. To include the v and x options, specify "/l*vx".

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have modified the file:

MSIEXEC /i "C:\Solid_Edge_DVD_ENGLISH_ST10\DVD\Solid Edge_EdgeST10 msi" MYTEMPLATE=2 USERFILESPECXML="C:\temp\My Docs\SEAdmin\Options.xml" USERFILESPEC=" C:\Users\geirr\Dropbox\Lisenser\Solid Edge ST10\selicense.txt" SETPDMCLIENT=1 INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Silent Solid Edge" /qn+ /l*v "C:\temp\mysilentsetup.log"

I have started the file from Run, then I get an error:

The messsage is in Norwegian, it sais something:

"Can not open this installation package. Make sure that the package exist and that I have access to the file"

What am I doing wrong?

error.png

ST9
Surface Pro 4

Siemens Phenom

Well, based on the error message it would appear to be self apparent... the installer cannot locate the .msi file.

You have specified the following for the msi file:

"C:\Solid_Edge_DVD_ENGLISH_ST10\DVD\Solid Edge_EdgeST10 msi" 

Yet, when I look on my install media, the msi file can be found under the following:

...\DVD\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST10.msi

So based on the install media, I would expect your msi file location to be:

"C:\Solid_Edge_DVD_ENGLISH_ST10\DVD\Solid Edge\Solid Edge ST10.msi" 

Also, you should not start the command from the Run but should in fact start the command from the DOS cmd prompt.  Makes life easier if you try to work through this with a DOS prompt.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@uk_dave  Do you know why the README states that using "setup.exe" to install silently is not to be used for Multi-Version?  It works, so I wonder what the reason for the warning is?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Siemens Phenom

@KennyG because setup.exe will also install prerequisites and for a multi-version install you want to try to avoid pre-reqs screwing up either or both Solid Edge installs.

Multi-version is for testing only so you don't need all the extra "fluff"...