Simple pattern not working

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Attached is a very simple part. I am not an expert in patterns. Why can't I pattern a feature 6 times around a circle? If I edit the pattern to 8 times it works, but 6 it will not do. The preview does show up correctly, just not the result.

In the attached part file I have attempted to make a circlular pattern of 6, but only 4 will show up. And the pattern command is showing an error for apperant reason.

14 REPLIES

Re: Simple pattern not working

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You're attempting to use "Curved" pattern versus the standard "Pattern" (Circular). 

• Select the "Pattern" command
  • Pick the feature to pattern
  • Select the top face of the part to "draw" your pattern profile
  • Once in profile mode, select the Circular Pattern (in Features group)
  • Select center point of part and draw a circle (size/direction shouldn't matter as it will look at your count field and equally space)

Hope this helps

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks, I just used a "typical" pattern rather than curved. Then it worked. I thought I needed a curved pattern for circular.

I'm always looking for ways to avoid adding another sketch. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yeah, that part (and the pattern process we are talking about) is lightning fast in Sync mode and no sketches required....

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

but IMHO the steps which are necessary to fullfill the curved pattern are at least as much as if You create a simple circled pattern.

And by the way - in this example the curved pattern ONLY can be a smart pattern where the circle pattern also works as fast pattern.

This for me is an old rule, to always try a fast pattern first before change it to smart!

Maybe this has changed, but we did test and watched the part size with smart vs. fast pattern used, and sometimes there was a huge difference from 1 to 5 in part size!

With Sync the things have changed!

Patterning gets easier and faster, I think there are always fast patterns used and for circled patterns YOu also get the pattern diameter automatically, as a parameter for later change

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks all.

I don't use sync at all. 90% of my work is sheet metal where Sync falls down. So every time I try Sync I'm baffled. This does have alot to do with my CAD history: 80,000 hours AutoCAD, then 8,000 hours of Imageware, then 3000 hours Solid Works, now I'm about 6000 hours Solid edge.

The reason I posted at all is that in theory, even through I was doing it wrong, it should have worked. If I edit the pattern to 8 count it does, but not at 6 count. Did not make any sense.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I know this is closed and I agree with all the feedback.

But I noticed that the pattern by curve was more stable if the cut was made with an open profile(2 lines) instead of a closed(4 lines).

Could it be that having a celing to the cut combined with floating point math causes some instances to fail?

Just trying to make sense of why it fails.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Phenom
Phenom

12GAGE,

You mention taking any opportunity to eliminate drawing another sketch. Yet every one of your features is preceeded by a sketch. Why not just draw the desired profile within the feature and skip the sketch step. You can edit the profile in the feature jsut like a sketch and the sketch is really a waste of an additinal step.

I often use sketches before features if I am trying to relate and organize multiple features, but I have never used sketches for the basis of a feature.

Obviously it works, and I am not being critical, I am just curious as to why you model in this way.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I only use ordered, and it's habbit from making sheet metal sketches dirven from planes or other pieces of sheet metal. I'm in the habbit of making sketches, then modeling the part, then going back and adjusting the sketches to the needed size.

Today was a big Ah Ha for me. To make the jump to Sync I have to think surface realtions that are never used in ordered.

Phenom
Phenom
I understand, I only use ordered my self. However, I drive my profiles directly from geometry in the profile step of the feature rather than as a separate sketch.

Sent from my iPhone
Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC