Simplifying Assemblies

Creator
Creator

I have a fairly complicated assembly supplied by a vendor.  Because we will not be modifying it, I figured it would be a prime candidate for being simplified since it both slows my computer to a crawl AND will never have to be changed.  I went into the assembly, chose simplify by visible faces and my computer froze for a while so SE could do its work.  End result is a nice, single body with all the exterior faces.  I'm happy.

Until I put it into an assembly.  I've got two of these particular ones in the assembly and one of them shows up and the other stays hidden but will highlight if I move my mouse over it. If I switch over to design view, it will pop back up, but again I'm working at a crawl and that defeats the purpose.  There is no noticeable slow down when only one is visible.

Has anyone run into this before and have a solution?

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 (3.70 GHz)
6 REPLIES

Re: Simplifying Assemblies

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you don't need to keep the original condition maybe you could save the simplify feature as a separate part and use it instead.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

That's usually how I handle venor supplied assemblies, but, for me, typically that's converting from step files.  This is a rare instance where I actually have the SE assembly so I thought I'd use the simplify functionality to maintain model fidelity.

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes but if the simplifed version is adequate you can save the simplified feature as a new part. Right click on the the simplify feature and do a "save as". That way you don't have to carry the full version along or worry about turning on or off designed/simplified.

Bruce Shand

Creator
Creator

OK I'll go this route.  Still no idea why SE refuses to show one simplified assembly, but shows the other.

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have also found simplified assemblies in upper levels to be problematic in terms of proper display.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
I've had view issue occasionally as well, with different assemblies. Another issue, which I've been told shouldn't be an issue is with the relationships of the simplified assemblies. I'll open the top level assembly and links will be errored out, I have to activate the simplified assembly, remate everything, or at least one of the mates. Today I actually opened up two of them and simply deleted the simplified assembly. Mind you these are all the visible face only types, I've never used any suppressed features type.
-Craig