Simplifying Drafts for Technical Illustrations

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All,

I've been building exploded views of technical components, Axle hubs etc specifically for exporting them into vector images for technical illustrations in parts manuals.

on the whole, I can get this to work. You can save the drafts as an EMF file and open the EMF using Corel Draw or illustrator easy enough.

My problem is that the draft tends to be too complex for the illustration. I will explain with the images below:

SimplifyDraft_1.png

The image above is the Draft exploded view of the axle hub to gie you an idea of what the concept is

Simplifydraft_2.png

This image is the end cap of the assembly and shows my dilema. Notice the many lines depicting the lip of the cap. My guess is the program is trying to show a 3D effect. What I need to do is to simplify this into one line.

SimplyDraft_3.png

My final issue is shown when I highlight the graphic repesenting one of the bearings. When I export the draft to an EMF, the proces only exports straight lines with nodes everywhere. This tends to increase file size especially when you need to have an an assembly with 40 or 50 parts. What Id like to have is the export to curves rather than hundreds of straight lines.

I can pull the emfs into Corel and just trace the image but I dont believe this is an effect use of time having to trace a vector image.

Any help here would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES

Betreff: Simplifying Drafts for Technical Illustrations

Phenom
Phenom

HI @jeddell

maybe I'm wrong but I think that I see several issues in Your picture, which let me consider how You have done this.

1. is it possible that You work on the background sheet rather than on a working sheet?
    OK, this is not the most important issue but I think it's better to use the darft as designed.
  2. Those polygon type curves, is it possible that You have set the draft view as "Create Draft Quality" views? This is normally the reason for such open contours and polygon curves.
  3. Is EMF the best solution for transfering the date to Corel?
    Is it possible to import PDF there?
  4. Keep in mind that with ST10 a new documentation addon from QuadriSpace will be available (or was available also as extra software) 

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Simplifying Drafts for Technical Illustrations

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @jeddell

It will largely depend on how imported emf data is handled in the illustrator program.

Unfortunately Solid Edge EMF export dialog does not have any Options to control hte output, so no visibility here on what type of curves are actually exported.

Have you tried the DXf/DWG/PDF options from Solid Edge; I believe Illustrator/CorelDraw supports these as well.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Tushnar,

Yes, I have tried other options. I moght go to some Illustrator and Corel forums and see if they have settings that cna do the trick, Good suggestion. Thanks

Jeddell

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As @hawcad says, we will have Solid Edge Illustrations (probably right for you) and Solid Edge 3D Publisher shipping quite shortly (compatible with ST10). These would be worth taking a look at.

Best,

Dan

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @dcstaples,

can You say wether or where those addons will be included?

Are they with ST10 from Classic upwards?

Or are they extra software modules to buy?

Thanks in advance

regards
Wolfgang

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

They are companion products to Solid Edge CAD products. They can run on the same station as Solid Edge or completely standalone (no Solid Edge pre-requisite). They are full capability products for Illustration and Publishing and priced as such. Roughly speaking, Solid Edge Illustration is priced somewhat less than a seat of Foundation and Solid Edge 3D Publisher is somewhat less than a seat of Solid Edge Classic.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

HI @dcstaples

sad to read this, I thought there will be at least a small package included to a Solid Edge Classic for example.

Similar to the KeyShot functionallity, where the product itself also can be a real standalone product but is a special addin for SE Classic.

I suppose there will also be no bundles together with SE?

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi, I also use Corel Draw for technical docu. At the moment I don't export drafts to emf files. Instead I simple copy/paste it to from SE draft to Corel. It works for me for now, but I'd like to have this feature. It would be great if we could get splines instead of a lot of line segments.

Creator
Creator

Do these products, Solid Edge Illustration and Solid Edge 3D Publisher have webpages available yet?

I haven't been able to find anything. 

Thanks!

-Seth

-Seth M. Holmes