Sketch Measurements

[ Edited ]

I have two parts I am modelling that I want to mate by aligning their four bolt holes. One model will only measure the holes vertically or horzontally, the other part will only measure the holes diagonally. (I've checked the measurements as an equalateral right triangle, but they still aren't aligning). In the vieo I am trying to move the cursor to a position where it will measure diagonally. Is there a way to get them to measure the way I want?

Also, as also shown in the video, when I do measure the distance between the holes the measurement appears in blue and although I can change the measurement, it has no effect on the spacing of the holes, it just reads the wrong dimension. 

Thank you.

(view in My Videos)

7 REPLIES

Re: Sketch Measurements

I have just checked your movie. And according to movie (not seeing the actual part), I can say, that SE is working correctly.

1. the top left circle is constraints with tangent relationship to something, that is not visible in the movie. Also the bottom right circle is constrained tangentially to something, not visible in the movie. Then there is also top right hole, that is also constraints vertically to something. Possibly to the big hole in the middle. Maybe those relationship are the reason, that you can not create the driving dimension. Try to redefine those relationships.
  2. And if you want to place the dimension diagonally, you can do the following. I see, that you are selecting Smart Dimension. First, try to select the actual centerpoint of both circles. Then, hold SHIFT button and you will see, that you can place dimension that you want. While in smart dimension command, shift button creates the 'shortest distance' dimension.
    Also, you can select Distance Between command (instead of smart dimension) and set the menu to By 2 Points (by default, this menu is set to Horizontal/Vertical).

Hope, that this helps.

[ Edited ]

Thank you. 

1. The holes are only contrained to each other, vertically and laterally, and in size. I was hoping to be able to modify the size of one hole and change them all. 

2. I have been able to get a diagonal dimension as you described, however I cannot change the dimension, if I plug in a new dimension it changes to show that distance but doesn't actually change the distance. What is the purpose of that?

I was careful when I created the holes to make sure they weren't auto-constraining to anything else in the drawing. 

Thanks again. 

1. Top left and bottom right circles in your movie are also constrained tangetially to something. They both have small red circles on their edges. Those red circles normally represent the tangetn relationship.
    Click on those relationships and delete them, if they are there by mistake.
    Doing this, you might dimension your sketch as you want.
  2. If the dimension is blue and not active, then it is there just to show you its value. It also means, that with this dimension, the sketch is over-constrained. Or that you already have such dimension. If you change the model, this dimension will update to a new value. But if you change the dimension, nothing will happen to the model.
    Such dimension can also be used as a reference dimensions. For example, maybe you want to dimension a rectangle horizontaly and verticaly. But for some reason, you want to know, what is the diagonal of this rectangle. You will alway change the shape of rectangle by vertical/horizontal dimensions, but you need this diagonal just for reference.

And also the top right hole is constrained only to the top left hole. It is not contrained to the bottom right hole. You can see, that the vertical constraint symbol goes only to the big hole in the middle. fix this contraint, too.

Thank you Sven. I got rid of the sketch and started over (something I do more in this program than all others combined), creating circles way outside the bounds so they wouldn't auto-constrain to anything. 

[ Edited ]

Garnet,

Why aren't you using a pattern here? 

Watch here:  http://screencast.com/t/fGsy7Hbo

Of course if the Holes won't work in a circular Pattern, there always the Rectangular pattern that would allow different X and Y dimensions.

This way when you edit the first Hole all 4 will be upgraded, and you can always change the Pattern Dimensions as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll play around with that.