Solved! Go to solution

Sketch 'absorbed' by Feature on Ordered Pathfinder. How to ?

Hi guys ...

Sometimes, at Ordered environment, I make the 'mistake' of creating an Sketch first, then the Feature. (We can directly create the Feature, and there will be an Sketch there, available for edition, besides invisible in the Pathfinder ).

For the cases when there are an Sketch and its derived Feature, how to make the Feature absorb the Sketch in the Pathfinder?

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8
3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author F_Hilario
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Sketch 'absorbed' by Feature on Ordered Pathfinder. How to ?

Hi Flavio,

I would suggest you edit the sketch profile, select all, then Copy the sketch, return, redefine features plane to nolonger be "Select From Sketch", then Paste the copied geometry.....finish and delete the original sketch.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

you have noted that there are 2 types of sketches in ordered mode.

these are commonly refered to as:

1.) global sketch:  a sketch that is made as a sketch and will live on the pathfinder.  this sketch can then be used for more than one operation downstream and be seen in the graphic display for reference.  often used for master layout

2.) feature based sketch:  a sketch that is drawn within the creation workflow of a feature (protrusion, cutout, etc) this sketch will not be visible nor able to be used for any other feature other than the one in which it is created.  this will not show on the path finder.

As Sean posted...  if you do not want to see your sketch on the pathfinder you can copy and paste your sketch into the feature creation directly...

-OR-

you can filter your pathfinder to not show sketches.

screen shot:  http://screencast.com/t/2JgV1D5g6iQ

Hi guys !

The copy-paste seems to be a nice workaround for me.  Usually I keep sketches as Matt described too (for some multiple use or for some very primitive reference for part / assembly).

In the end, I can keep a very clean design process for colegues that need manipulate my files.

Thanks !!

Best Regards!

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8