Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch pattern automatically following solid body shape

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone,

I experiencing a problem with pattern. I'm designing a chamber build of a metal sheets and want to strengthen it with frames in the outside. Whole chamber is driven from Excel spreadsheet to be able to quickly change chamber dimensions on a client request. Chamber have a quite complex shape. My problem is that I can't made a pattern, where every single occurence of frame is adjusting its shape to shape of chamber while I'm changing its dimensions.

Only solution I found is to draw a simple line, then project it on a chambers surfaces and then build frame with frame design tool based on that projected line.

22X.02.01.00.02.0 Model.jpg

Now when im changing distance of plane where the source sketch is placed projected lines following chamber's shape. And my idea is to place for example 20 sketches like this in defined distances between each other and first one with fixed distance from base planes. Then just use cut feature placed on a back surface of chamber to cut unnecessary ones. Then all of them should follow chamber shape and its count should adjust automatically. And whats important, I should be able to drive it from Excel.

But above solution is really long workaround, its true sculpturing. But I can't find any better solution. Maybe someone of you reading this post will have a better idea Smiley Happy ?

If you need more info please ask. I have attached 3D files.

Thanks in advance.

ST10 MP7, Keyshot 6.1
6 REPLIES

Betreff: Sketch pattern automatically following solid body shape

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Eurekainz

what I just tested and what works fine here, is to use an intersection between the body and the plane.

Those intersection curves can be used for the frame creation and they also are modified if the plane is moved.

I think that there can be problems coming up. if the number of individual frame lines will change during the movement of the sectional plane

But to update them also is that easy, so You should not have to much problems about.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Eurekainz

see video what I mentione before:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Wolfgang Smiley Happy, that will really simplify my idea.

ST10 MP7, Keyshot 6.1

HI @Eurekainz

... welcome!

And if this solves Your problem, You can mark it as "Solution"

This will help other looking for a solution to the same or similar issue

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

I will mark it as a solution as soon as I manage to realize my workaround. For now, its just a scenario and I found a couple of additional problems which I think I can handle by myself. Just give me a few days and I'll try to place here a solution and then I'll mark this thread as a solution Smiley Happy .

ST10 MP7, Keyshot 6.1

Re: Sketch pattern automatically following solid body shape

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Guys,

sorry for long silence. Now I am ready to show you final shape of workaround. Please see the movie below:

(view in My Videos)

As you can see I had to make a kind of tail to not allow sketches to disappear when they move out of chamber end. Its becouse when sketch disappear C-beams starting to flying around assembly. There's only one small problem - when second sketch coming from angled top of chamber to the horizontal top horizontal C-beam loosing connection to the sketch. But its not really matters as at the end I will save every single chamber to separate assembly file and then make a needed corrections.

Hope this post will help someone Smiley Happy .

ST10 MP7, Keyshot 6.1