Sketch pattern in ordered parts

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

How do you make a pattern of a geometry in sketch mode (ordered)?  I'm trying to use Rectangular Pattern.  I draw the boundry and enter my x and y values, but I can't select my geometry.  How do I make a pattern of the square in this sketch?

pat1.png

13 REPLIES

Re: Sketch pattern in ordered parts

Innovator
Innovator

Hi,

depending on what You like to get, but normally You create one feture out of on sketch rectangle and then make a pattern of that 3D feature.

I think that this is the reason for a not perfect 2D pattern functionality.

Although it exits if I remember correctly.

Regards Wolfgang 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The rectangular and circular patterns shown in the top left only appear when I'm in 2D sketch mode.  There must be a way to pattern a 2D geometry.

pat2.png

When I have a 3D feature, the pattern and mirror options are on a different tab labeled Pattern.  This one I know how to use.

pat3.png

Phenom
Phenom

You can create a pattern of 2D objects in the Draft environment and Copy-Paste into Part.

It won't be associative though.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Tushar

I'm interested in learning the pattern function in 2D sketch.

There must a reason for those buttons (rectangular and circular patterns) to exist in sketch mode.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's not for patterning 2D stuff. You can use a sketch pattern in a part to pattern features or assembly to pattern parts and assemblies.

The neat thing about having a sketch define a pattern is that you can use it multiple times in say, an assembly where you want to define discrete but identical patterns of different parts of your assembly at different times.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There's no patterning of 2D objects in part or assembly sketches. I wonder why you would want to. As Tushar said you can pattern 2D objects in a draft.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you.  Now it makes sense.  I thought it was like SW where you can either patter geometries or features.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

It seems I was late for "this party".

Solid Edge handles this on "feature level" not sketch level...  Sometimes it is useful and sometimes not...

Here is a video about this:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the video. Once I learned its function from this thread, using it was easy.