Sketch vs. Draft enormous drafting performance difference???

Builder
Builder

Hello there, guys.

A strange issue I can't explain. Currently I'm using ST8, with the last upgrade. All works fine, but I find the sketching environment quite slow, with a noticeable delay/lag when drawing lines, placing relationships and so on.

To my surprise, whenever I draw within a draft, the performance is much better, with no delays and a far better user experience, a perfect one indeed.

The difference is simply awesome: within a sketch I spend most of the time waiting for drawing, intellisketch, placing relationships and measures. Any task takes a tiny delay, and I'm always a few steps forward of the software. This is noticeable as soon as you make the first sketch in an empty part. When thinks become more complex, the workflow becomes really slow, to a point where the program drives me mad.

All that disappears within a draft, without any chance my brains going faster than my hands. No matter the complexity of my drawing, the software performs great, as expected for such a "simle" task.

My logic says that both drawing environments should share code and resources, so I can't explain this. I have tried several View options with no difference on the results. My computer holds an average GForce, so I don't have any big expectations, but the weird stuff here is the big performace difference among two environments, and the fact that I notice the lag from the first line.

Any clues? Much thanks!

10 REPLIES

Re: Sketch vs. Draft enormous drafting performance difference???

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are the Relationships turned on in Draft as they are typically off by default.  Having to calculate relationships in Sketch and not calculating them in Draft can quickly explain the performance difference.

If they are also on in Draft, then I have no idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

"average GForce" is the clue for me.

Besides calculating relationships, the big issue I have with sketch performance is displaying all the relationship icons.  I usually have them on in Sketch, but not turned off in Draft (so they don't print).

You'll experience an amazing difference just by upgrading to an "average Quadro."

Builder
Builder
I work with exactly the same options in both environments. In fact, before posting I have tried all possible options without any significant improvement in sketching.

As I said, the difference is AWESOME, much greater that what you can expect switching some of those options.

No lag in a complex draft against an annoying workflow in a sketch with four lines.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What @swertel said.

NVidia GeForce is a gaming graphics card and is not supported adapter for Solid Edge.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Have you tried changing your theme?

Seems silly, but white background of drawing vs. blue background of sketching may make a difference.

What about the option to change color of entities that are fully constrained?  This only exists in sketch, not in draft.

Builder
Builder

None of those possibilities have any noticeable impact on performance...

Backgorund color, aliasing, relatinship colors.. I have tried most choices with no success.

I know that I'm not dealing with the best equipment, but, come on! we are talking about an agressive lag when drawing a rectangle, which, moreover, doesn't appear in a different context of the same app, nor in any CAD software I have deal with last years.

Nobody else has noticed this?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"Nobody else has noticed this?"

Nope.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Try this: "Right-click your desktop > scroll down to NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D settings > Adjust Image Settings With Preview > toggle mouse and move it to Performance."

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Technically, you can expect a difference because they use two completely different display technologies -- 2D uses GDI -- like Powerpoint would-- and 3D uses OpenGL -- like games used to (they now use DirectX mostly).

That said, your performance on any recent GeFore while not recommended should be snappy and not noticeably laggy. You should check your driver - -make sure its realtively up to date. Also, the card itself -- you can get a great card for $100 or so, so not sure how old your card may be.

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development