Solved! Go to solution

Sketching parts coincident with other parts in assembly

Hi there,

I have an assembly with multiple parts in it. When I create a new part in place, I often want to snap points to existing features in other parts. Is there any way to do this?

8 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author lukepighetti
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

There are many ways to do this. For what I think you want...

[ Edited ]

There are many ways to do this. For what I think you want to do, in the assemble command, change the FlashFit option to Connect in order to snap to keypoints- this will let you select centerpoints, edge points, etc...on both components. You can also snap coordinate systems together with Match Coordinate Systems, if your components have been designed to a common coordinate system.

EDIT: I believe I misread your question. Using the Include command in the sketch environment will include elements from other parts. If you want these elements to update if you change the part you included them from, make sure that "Maintain associativity when including geometry from other parts in the assembly" is checked in the Include Options dialog box. In addition, when placing parallel planes and other things in your part after creating-in-place, you can hold the SHIFT key to snap to keypoints in the assembly environment.

-Dylan Gondyke

Re: There are many ways to do this. For what I think you want...

Works well, thanks. But it seems to import new geometry instead of allowing me to snap to existing geometry, such that if I change the dimensions on the pre-existing part, the dimensions of the new part don't change to accept. I am designing a plywood set of drawers, and each panel is based off of the base dimension on the base panel.

Also, when sketching on a new plane in a new part, I do not know how to base it's position off of existing geometry... such that I cannot sketch on the face of an existing part for a new part.

Any wisdom here?

Re: There are many ways to do this. For what I think you want...

[ Edited ]

The geometry should have a little S shape for a relationship handle if it has been linked, meaning it will stay associative to the part it has been included from. If you do not see this handle on the geometry, it will not update when you change the parent part.

Placing planes using existing geometry is one of my gripes- it is not as easy as it should be. Planes in a part can be created coincident to planes created at the assembly level by once again holding SHIFT, but it is NOT easy to get at planes in another part document.

-Dylan Gondyke

Re: Sketching parts coincident with other parts in assembly

So I accepted an answer and I cannot see it anymore for reference... what good is that?

Luke,
It may have moved from the open questions list to the resolved questions list on the Q&A page. Is that what you're talking about?
Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Expand the comments on the 'Accepted solution' post. (Comments link in the lower left corner) This will bring back up the conversation thread we had going.
-Dylan Gondyke

Luke,

As Matt & Dylan have said....the "Accepted Solution" relegates these posts into an archive....you can still access these by clicking on the "View All" to the lower right of the current list of topics...there are also a set of sorting filter options to use on the topics.
Here's a short video.... http://screencast.com/t/AwlUl58Oli
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Yes! Thank you. Still getting used to the whole thing. Smiley Happy