Slot on a cylinder

Hi edgers,

does anybody has a hint for me, what is the best method to make a slot on a cylinder fixed to that cylinder surface?

Making a cylinder with e.g. a diameter of 50mm,
define a single line on a tangent plane at 90 degrees and use this for making a slot with a depth of 5mm.

So far so good.

At the moment You can change the depth of this slot using the slot parameters.

But when changing the diameter of the cylinder the origin of the slot keep staying where it was but changes the depth of it.

From this moment on there is no way to modify the slot depth using the parameters and I have not found any easy way to keep the depth.

By the way, this is a synchronous modeling question and comes from ST7 / MP4

I have seen no problems, when the slot starts at a plane

thanks and regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang
13 REPLIES

Re: Slot on a cylinder

Hi,

I tried it out in ordered & synchronous and it seems, that it works just in ordered modeling.

Yasser

I've tried to duplicate your problem but can't find any problem. Are you highlighting the slot in the pathfinder then clicking the callout pointing at the slot which brings up the slot dialog?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi,

yes, but from the moment when You first change the cylinder diameter this callout doesn't work anymore.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

OK. I see the problem now. This looks like another glitch with synchronous to me. You should report it to your reseller or to GTAC.

In the meantime make that feature in ordered if you have to.

Bruce Shand

Hi,

Guys it should work well, but you have to use a locked dimension to "tie" slot to cylinder!

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imi

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Hi Imi,

Yes we have seen that an additional dimension for the slot depth will keep it as it is defined (we used a live section line therefore).

But on the other hand since the slot is a process feature like a hole, this seems to be simiolar to the need for a depth dimenions fopr holes to keep them.

This doesn't make any sense and only is necessary when the slot is on a cylindrical surface.

If it is on a plane there will be no problem for its behavior.

This what looks like a little bit strange.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Imics,

Nice! Now what if you want to change the slot to be at a different angle? In ordered you change the plane. How do you control that angle after you generate the slot in synchronous?

Bruce

Bruce Shand

Using the steering wheel could make it possible.

"Using the steering wheel could make it possible."

Tried it unsuccessfully. But that's just me.

Bruce Shand