Small workstation from HP - Anyone seen this?

I just saw this on SolidSmack.  

http://www.solidsmack.com/3d-cad-technology/new-hp-z2-mini-worlds-smallest-workstation/

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
9 REPLIES

Re: Small workstation from HP - Anyone seen this?

Nice catch!

When you look at the form factor it's not much different from the EliteDesk SFF. I've attached those to the back of monitors as well. This baby will power 6 monitors which means it has 4 DisplayPorts 1.2 and you daisly chain out of two of the parts for a total of 6 monitors.Running a NVIDIA Quadro M620 or Intel drivers.

The one catch is that you will need a wireless keyboard and mouse. No big deal there except for maybe signal strength issues.

I guess we will have have to wait and see how this stacks up against the Surface Studio..its base is smaller than this one and is now certified to run NX.

I think we will see smaller hardware for CAD based on the hardware requirements being shifted to cloud and the solid state drives. Now we just need to solve the CAD graphics card sizes..but that can be managed as well with cloud or on premise cloud or VM clients- Boxx VDI type solutions.

Will wait until they get the mid-range Quadro's in it...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

What caught my attention is that it has Xeon processors in it and the price is only $699.  I would like to see more information on the RAM and what video capability it has.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Intel® Xeon® E3-1245 v5 with Intel HD Graphics P530 (3.5 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) Intel®
Xeon® E3-1225 v5 with Intel HD Graphics P530 (3.3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Core™ i7-6700 with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3.4 GHz, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Core™ i5-6500 with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3.2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel® Core™ i3-6100 with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3.7 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

Integrated: Intel® HD Graphics 530; Intel® HD Graphics P530
Entry 3D: NVIDIA® Quadro® M620 (2 GB)

32 GB DDR4-2133 ECC/non-ECC SDRAM

500 GB up to 1 TB SATA (7200 rpm)
256 GB up to 512 GB HP Z Turbo Drive G2 (PCIe SSD)
256 GB HP Z Turbo Drive G2 (PCIe TLC SSD)
256 GB up to 512 GB HP Z Turbo Drive G2 (PCIe MLC SSD)

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

Here's a bit more on the specs.....

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/15/hps-tiny-xeon-powered-pc-puts-the-mac-mini-to-shame/ 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP4] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi Ken,

I just looked around on the HP site as well and noticed the other options.  I'll bet that $699 price tag is for the lower end machine.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Oh yeah...way low machine..my bet si the $699 is for i3 with intel graphics and 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD.

I love that this page is actually showing it used with Solid Edge.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Will be tough getting a good vid card in that. Stuck with whatever it comes. I agree with Grundey that it's not a good move until they have decent vid cards in them.

I'm considering a move up from a K4200 to lower my reboot times for vid memory leaks. Every 1 to 3 hours the vid ram is no longer clean enough to avoid selection problems.