Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmarTeam with Solid Edge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Folks,

I already have my own opinions on this unholy joining, but can't find any other personal experiences. We're trying to put together an effort to finally bring our data under control with a vaulting PDM/PLM system. There was an effort here before my time with ST (using a multi-site license from another BU that is prediminantly CATIA) but it failed on behalf of both the integration team and possibly the VAR. I am loathe to attempt mixing CAD and PDM authoring software, but I have to at least give it a try before outright suggesting it be scrapped.

Has anybody here made this attempt? Anyone using it successfully?

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000
6 REPLIES

Betreff: SmarTeam with Solid Edge

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Papasaurus

I have seen several custtomers sites with using Solid Edge in conjunction with SmarTeam as PDM, and they still are using it to their satisfaction.

But I thought, that SmarTeam is coming to the end of its lifecycle?

That here will be no further developement and future for the product due to Dassault product spectrum and developement plans.

This also is the reason why mentioned users are looking for an alternative solution for their old SmarTeam system - what is not the easiest task.

This is what I would consider and clarify first before deside to any PDM system.

But I hope that You will get answers by people better informed about this issue.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

I had heard something similar, but more along the lines of ST was being apsorbed into Enovia V6, which has been described as a much more complicated and expensive integration. Our remaining budget is limiting our options for this venture, and it may be wisest to hold out for TC Rapid Start. Which leaves us the option of upgrading to ST10 and using BiDM to at least organize and secure the data we have and try to better prepare for that migration.

I don't want to go without a PLM system for too long, we're losing too much efficiency with manual processes as it is. But I also don't want us to hire another bunch of consultants to customize workflow scripts and jump through a bunch of hoops to wrestle non-native data into submission, just to have to do it again in a couple years at twice the cost.

Thank you for your reply Wolfgang.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Papasaurus Which company are you with and how many seats of Solid Edge? I believe @hawcad is right -- SmartTeam has been winding down for years now -- definitely a bad time to go there!

I would strongly recommed working with Built in Data Management for a bit. There are several advantages to this -- its very simple to implement, it may in the end be all you need (depending on your needs which I don't know), and it will prepare you for a larger, more complex system by helping you identify and remove duplicates, start a part numbering system and more -- half its value is to get you ready.

Best,

Dan

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

We're a small-to-medium product development outfit, aircraft cabin galley equipment. We're currently using approx 25 seats of classic, floating 5 premiums of ST6 with no MPs, maintenance was never followed up and is out of date. It's a tragic tale.

I'll not even attempt to describe the state our data is in. It's been unmanaged and unsecured for too long, I'm going to need a good deal of time to get ahead of it.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

That being true, get to ST10 ASAP and get your data working with Built In. There are some GREAT tools for finding duplicates using fuzzy logic for example. The biggest hurdle you have before going to PDM is fixing duplicates and missing links. The sooner you start, the less work you will have.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you gentlemen, I really appreciate the input.