Software compatibility ST9/ST10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Updates to Office and Adobe.

I'm currently running the mixture of Windows 10, ST9, MS office 2010, Acrobat XI.

Since I'm in process of adding a second workstation, I also wanted to handle the MS office and Acrobat to get it ready for ST10. I have to make a  decision within a day or so for purchase of Office on a new install of ST9.

What's the right versions of MS office and Acrobat (Pro version, not the reader) for the combination of ST9 and ST10?

MS office 2013 and stay with acrobat XI? or will one of thoese be a problem with ST10?

I could be stuck in ST9 for many years because of compatability with nesting software that is planned soon. But if the nesting software  is compatable (planning on sigma nest), I will upgrade to ST10 when MP2 comes out.

24 REPLIES

Re: Software compatibility ST9/ST10

Genius
Genius

SigmaNest shouldn't have any issues with new versions of SE, especially if importing .dxf for programming and nesting. I've looked at the direct import of .psm files, but my past experience with Press Brake software kept from going that route. Just my two pennies.........

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

SE doesn't directly use Acrobat in any way.

As for Office, SE only uses Excel for table pattern and curve by table and editing the Hole database.  Any version that supports the current xlsx format should work, but from the ST9 README it states "ST9 will be the last release to support Office 2010. With ST9, we recommend Microsoft Office Professional 2013".  Given that, 2013 would be the minimum for ST10.  I'd just go with Office 2016.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Grundey,  there's nothing in ST10 that requires Office is there? IOW, if you don't use curve by table or table patterns there would be no problem, right?

I assume you could still edit the hole database with 2010 Excel, no?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The statement regarding ST10 not supporting Office 2010 is based on the ST9 Readme and is just a declaration from Siemens PLM Support that basically says:  We don't know if it will work on prior versions of Office or not because we are not testing them and therefore will not officially support them if you run into an issue.

I'm assuming they will still work because MS hasn't changed the file format but if for instance Siemens used some new feature from Excel 2013 in ST10 for say the Hole database and you were using Excel 2010, you may have an issue and your only resolution would be to upgrade Office.  I'm thinking that this would be highly unlikely that Office 2010 would have any issues though as SE's use of Excel is really as basic as a simple table.

On another note though, Office 2010 is now 7 years old, Mainstream support ended in 2015, and it is not supported on Windows 10.  Probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

From the last patch of ST9

PR 7960950: Excel will be started by Solid Edge when creating a new part or sheet metal file.

That implies a compatable version of Excel will be required.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for that @12GAGE. This just gets more interesting.

Perhaps someone employed by Siemens could chime in?

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We have a beta version of ST10 on a machine which also has Office 2010 and there is no trouble starting a sheet metal part. Not sure if the incompatibility with 2010 is baked into the cake yet though.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

From the ST9 readme file:

Some Solid Edge commands require Microsoft Excel. Solid Edge stops testing with Microsoft products shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for them. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Office 2007 in October 2012. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Office 2010 in October 2015. ST9 will be the last release to support Office 2010. With ST9, we recommend Microsoft Office Professional 2013.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I get the marketing speak but that doesn't really answer the question. Will ST10 REQUIRE an Office suite later than 2010?

Bruce Shand