Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Software compatibility ST9/ST10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@bshand SOME Solid Edge commands REQUIRE Microsoft Excel.

ST9 will be the LAST RELEASE to support Office 2010.

Uppercase all my own emphasis but those two sentences appear to be pretty self-explanatory to me -- no real marketing speak seems to be in use in either of those two statements.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, it's just not all that helpful. I would just like to know whether it will work not merely whether it will be "supported". As I said the ST10 beta functions with Office 2010 now at least as far as working on parts and sheet metal. It would be good to simply know whether it will work or not so that we can prepare ahead of time. Updating everyone's Office is not a trivial time and financial investment for us.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Bruce,

What is being clearly stated her is that Siemens does not know if unsupported versions of Office will work because they stop testing the unsupported versions of Office. They may work or they may not - Siemens simply does not know. What you are asking is for Siemens to test older, unsupported versions of Office - something they have stated that they will not do.

None of this is marketing speak.

Cheers

Mark

Fair enough. I know no one, especially from Siemens, wants to put it out there that it will or will not work lest it be construed as a guarantee. But surely they know. I know right now, as the beta version stands, that ST10 will work in terms of opening the basic file types - dft, par, psm, asm. I'm not asking for a guarantee that it will work. And I'm not that interested in whether it's supported. If I have an issue because I have an old Office version then GTAC can tell me to pound sand. It shouldn't be that hard to say "ST10 will not work with versions of Office before and including Office 2010". Or what specific features it affects would be useful to customers like us that don't use features that require Excel. But it would be nice to know if a newer office version will be required just to open files, for example. That seems like useful information since customers will or will not have to upgrade a different set of software before moving to ST10. But I guess that's just me.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have a new twist in the story. The company plans to all go to Office 365. Is that comptable with Solid Edge? Or does MS office/excel need to be 2013/2016 flavors to work with Solid Edge?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Office 365 is simply the latest version of Office which is automatically kept up to date by Microsoft. As such it is ideal for use with Solid Edge.
Cheers
Mark

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Hi @12GAGE

we also have Office 365 here for a couple of years together with our Solid Edge without any problems.

I think Office 365 only is another name and policy by MS.

But this doesn't mean that I see that not positive, more the opposite.

You can define more detaile which applications every user really need and You are uptodate all the time

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was just given this email from Ally PLM, our suplier of Solid Edge.

"

MS Office 365 is not listed so it is not supported. You may however be able to use it but it is not recommended and Siemens cannot provide support for issue when using office 365."

Hi @12GAGE

OK, if this is the offical statement by Siemens, then so  it is.

On the other hand - and this now might be the inofficial experience by myself, we use Office 365 now for approx. 2 years.

Due to for me it is the current Office, it is installed completely as everey other office appliaction was the last 15 years, I cann't see any difference and it works here for at least 2 years without any problem, on several workstations and laptops

I think we will risk to stay there.

Smiley Wink

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That not from Siemens, it's from some tech support guy at Ally PLM reading the official statements of Siemens. 

My concern is exactly support. The thing that makes me crash the most often (say twice a day) is when I edit of the gage of sheet metal that is driven from the Excel gage table. When I change a gage, 100 dimensions in a drawing update.

I filed an IR and got direct word from Siemens.

ST9 is only supported w/ MSO 2010, 2013, 2016.

ST10 is only supported w/ MSO 2013 2016. No other testing is done.

Basically the same thing UK dave sated.