Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge 2019 - Maintenance Pack 6 Announcement

Pioneer
Pioneer

@uk_dave: Great tip about dealing with the 2705 error. But, some questions:

Question 1: Why does the error message not state the reason for this issue?

Question 2: Why does this issue occur in the first place? Shouldn't the cloud gateway application (which downloads the maintenance pack) know what version of SE we are running?

Question 3: What is the proper sequence for "completely uninstalling" Solid Edge?

Question 4: Where can I download the "base version?"

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Any idea where I can find the active version from inside SE? By far the most programs I know have something like a "Help->About" menu which shows the active version, but not SE (or it is very well hidden). I've already spent half an hour searching the program and the web, to no avail...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

1 – The error message states the error not the root cause.  This is no different to many other error message you will see or receive.

2 – I already explained how the issue occurred and it is related to an incorrect build of the base Solid Edge version being installed.  The issue has nothing to with version numbers installed.  The cloud gateway only checks for maintenance packs and has nothing to do with the base software installed. 

3 – Control Panel –> Programs -> Uninstall a program -> select Siemens Solid Edge and double-click to uninstall.

4 – From the GTAC file server using your WebKey account details to access and download   https://download.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/

P.S.  – Learn Solid Edge pane -> top right-hand corner in small text -> About Solid Edge

Legend
Legend

@uk_dave wrote:

@Joanpolo the latest one available for download from the GTAC file server. 

There was an incorrect build of the base Solid Edge software upon initial release that was briefly and for a very limited time posted for download on the GTAC server.  That build was then quickly removed and an updated correct build provided.  However the build numbers were not changed.

So therefore reviewing build numbers to determine the base software version that presents this issue is not possible.

With that said the base SE2019 version is 219.00.00.091.

Well that just isn't a good way to run document/rev control, I am a bit offput that Siemens would permit something to be handled so slopply. Even if you just rebuild and compile without changes you should still increment the build number.

Now I have to waste 1-2 hours of billable time just to update software that was released with problems but then re-released without any sort of change log, bug fix notification etc. and pray my settings are not all messed up so I won't have to spend even more time trying to figure out how I corrected the very odd default behaviors last time.

So how was it that I was able to install MP5 without issues if this is due to a build problem from many months ago?

Siemens Phenom

The build numbers were not increased because technically there was not a new build of the software made.  To be more precise with the issue, the issue was with the self-extracting exe file available for download not the underlying software itself.  A new self-extracting exe file had to be rebuilt.  We do not version the actual self-extracting exe files used for distribution.  If you had taken the full media download install instead of the smaller self-extracting file then you would not have experienced this issue.  This is actually why you cannot differentiate the issue by the Solid Edge version number -- because the issue is actually with the distribution media downloaded

So @nanan00 I apologize for being loose with my initial terminology and explanations for the sake of brevity to provide answers and giving you the wrong impression.

Siemens Phenom

@nanan00  as for your statement “So how was it that I was able to install MP5 without issues if this is due to a build problem from many months ago?” then perhaps what you have is not the same issue.

However, as part of debugging this, we would still typically ask you to fully uninstall Solid Edge, download new distribution media, and then reinstall from that fresh media, then apply the maintenance pack.

Your settings will not be impacted by reinstalling Solid Edge as it should not be necessary for you to remove your existing Solid Edge preferences in this instance.  However, you can use the Settings & Preferences Wizard to make a backup copy of your settings if concerned about this.

Siemens Phenom

@nanan00 as a thought for trying to debug this, you can try uninstalling all the previous maintenance packs you have installed and revert back to the base Solid Edge install and then try installing just MP6 on to your existing Solid Edge version.

However, in my honest opinion, you can uninstall full Solid Edge, download fresh media, and then reinstall base Solid Edge with MP6 faster than trying to remove five previous maintenance packs.

Pioneer
Pioneer
@uk_dave: Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@nanan00: "... spend even more time trying to figure out how I corrected the very odd default behaviors last time."

My feeling exactly: Since switching to SE, I feel like I've had to spend more time on issues like this one than on doing actual work with the program (and not for lack of trying).

Legend
Legend
So I uninstalled SE2019 completely from my computer and tried to reinstall, installer crashed after thinking for about 10 min. I rebooted my computer and tried again, installer crashed again, ran as admin, SE installs without issue. Fire up SE and settings appear to have remained intact so I try to install MP6, installer crashes... reboot run as admin, installer completes without issue, SE appears to have retained settings but have not done any CAD work today.

DvG: SE has much to be desired when it comes to user experience, many things that you would assume work one way work another and often times it appears to be hard coded and cannot be changed. Many of the default options and actions seem odd to me. Double click on a block in draft mode opens the block editor instead of the properties dialog, opposite behavior of Autocad, inventor and solidworks. Printing in general is a mess, please add the ability to save configurations so I don't have to reset this every **bleep** time I print a drawing, again autocad etc have done this for decades. Use OLE? why can't I locate the OLE object by a point and lock it in place with a constraint, why does the OLE scale change every time I edit the OLE object? oh wait it isn't the scale it is something else even more nebulous as the scale still shows 1.0...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nanan00 You should always install any desktop app using "Run as Administrator" because even though you may be in the Administrator group, your security is not that of an Administrator if UAC is turned on as UAC actually gives you two security tokens and uses the lesser one by default.  "Run as Administrator" bumps up your security to the Administrator token if you are in the Administrator group.  If you are not in the Administrator group it will prompt for credentials of an account that is in the group.

I would also encourage you and @DvG  to contact your VAR (or GTAC if able) and ask them to submit enhancement requests for anything you believe is odd or is needed in SE. Your perspectives as previous users of other systems is a valuable resource that many of us that have used SE for a decade or two do not have.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com