Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge 2019 crashes upon return to assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all,

I used to run Solid Esge on a Dell machine with an onboard Intel graphic card and had no problems using the software.

I just upgraded to a new laptop with an onboard Intel UHD 6200 and a dedicated Geforce GTX1050 card. With my previous experience with onboard graphic cards I didn't expect too much problems with this upgrade. I however was confronted with a constantly crashing SE upon closing a part to return to the assembly.

Capture.PNG

Contacting Simens Support didn’t resolve the situation although we looked at the drivers, graphic card settings in SE (from software driven to graphic card driven), execute as administrator and reinstalling the software.  

In the logfile it apparently is referring to the OpenGL protocol for the root cause of the problems. Both the drivers of the onboard and dedicated video cards are supporting OpenGL 4.6.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions how to resolve this issue?

Best regards, Gilbert Rezette

15 REPLIES 15

Betreff: Solid Edge 2019 crashes upon return to assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Rezette

do You have any 3D controller in use?

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Wolfgang,

No nothing like 3D controller.

Grts, Gilbert

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Your crash is occurring with opengl.dll  This indicates that this is graphics card/driver related.

The opengl32.dll in use appears to be for your Intel graphics card.

Did you go to both Intel and NVidia to download the latest graphics drivers direct from the manufacturers? 

As you appear to be running the Intel graphics card for Solid Edge, did you go into the Intel graphics settings and assign more RAM to the Intel card?

Did you try disabling the onboard Intel card and only running the NVidia card to explicitly force all applications to only use the NVidia card?

Unfortunately both Intel HD and Nvidia GeForce ranges are not considered professional grade CAD cards so as such have very limited support, especially when the issue is with opengl32.dll which indicates the issue is clearly graphics related.

Also, just an FYI, you are running Windows 10 Home which is an unsupported operating system.

Siemens Phenom

P.S.  Do you have any external USB devices plugged in to the machine?  Try removing these.

Also, as a quick test  try temporarily disabling your anti-virus and repeating your workflow.

Siemens Phenom

P.P.S.  Try switching your desktop background to a plain coloured background or run Solid Edge full screen – pictured backgrounds being displayed will draw resources from the graphics.

Also, what display resolution are you running at such that your menu items are all being collapsed?  Have you changed your icon/button default size?  Have you changed your Windows display scaling to be larger than 100%?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Dave,

I have indeed tried to force SE to use the Intel and separately the Geforce card, no luck and SE crashed again. Drivers for the cards are the latest available version from the manufacturers.

There is sadly not an option in the Bios available to force the laptop to use the Geforce card and exclude the Intel from being used. I tried to achieve the same result by disabling the Intel card in the hardware configuration in Windows 10. This didn’t also resolve the problem from occurring again.

Would there be any difference between Win 10 Home and Pro for Solid Edge?

Grts, Gilbert

Siemens Phenom

One of the major more apparent differences between Windows 10 Home and Professional is the update process.  With Windows 10 Home you are on the cutting edge of always receiving the latest updates.  Unfortunately Microsoft is not known of late for releasing stable updates.  With Professional your updates are already slightly delayed over Home and you can manually delay these updates longer to ensure that your workstation is working with a more stable operating system.  Essentially with Windows 10 Home you are the [unwilling] beta testers for Windows operating system updates for the Professional and Enterprise users.  There are also further differences under the hood of the operating system that make Professional a more stable system over Home, along with some other functoriality that makes Professional better suited for the business environment. It is the stability of the system that we are looking for.   

Also, as suggested, did you look at trying to increase the memory allocated to the Intel card?  You can also change the NVidia card settings to be more performant as well.    

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the explanation wrt the differences between the Home and Pro licences of Windows. It might thus also be the case that older updates would be installed on a Pro version. Could I try to downgrade my drivers?

I have no clue where to allocate more memory to the onboard graphic card, is this a setting to be performed in the BIOS?

Grts, Gilbert

Siemens Phenom

Yes, you can also downgrade your graphics drivers.  You may very well have success with installing an older graphics driver version.  In my experience when downgrading driver version deleting the existing drivers first before trying to install older versions.

As to where to change your allocated memory I would google this for your graphics card model and operating system.  Some hardware will allow this to be changed in the BIOS.  Others require registry hacks to allocate more.