Solid Edge Across a WAN w/ Data Storage on a NAS

Is anyone in Edgeland running Solid Edge with their data stored on NAS devices via a WAN? We have this situation and out IT gurus in Peoria are trying to figure out how to make our new system work since they moved all of our data off local servers. They have essentially shut us down and we are searching for a way to make it work.

If you are doing this successfully, perhaps we can get our IT people in contact with each other.

We have lost a full week here not being able to work.

I gave them GTAC's number as well and I am open to any other suggestins.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC
10 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Across a WAN w/ Data Storage on a NAS

What's the issue you are having?  This should look just like a shared drive from a Windows server...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

It appears as shared drive just like it used to when the server was local.

Issue is speed. We are 10-15X slower now. We have been working all after afternoon running tests. When I open an SE file across the WAN i am peaking at around 4 mbits networks, when I copy a folder across I am seeing north of 50 at times

Whatever SE s doing when opening an assembly is taking serious time that did not cause problems when the server and shared drive were local.

Bob Henry

So apparently there is sufficient bandwidth available across the 100 mbit pipe, but there must be something going on in communication between my workstation and the NAS when I try to open an assembly file. 

We have data compressin but they turned it off for our latest testing and we did not see any difference.

I can copy files at high speeds with no problem. I just can''t open SE assemblies or active drawings without huge delays.

Bob Henry

Virus Scanner isn't getting in the way when accessed by SE?  Try turning it off or uninstalling and test.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

No that was one of my first questions. They tell me all of the SE extensions are listed and exempt

they are going to test a Citrex Xen Desktop over the weekend to see if it helps.

We also ran WireShark while i loaded an assembly model so their WAN gurus can examine

Bob Henry

If I can add to the virus scanning.

I am running local network only.

To the obviously logical advise of the senior members here (Rick etc), in addition to the file extension list, I do exclude bunch of directories used while running the Solid Edge.

SE program directories, whole data directories, OS temp directories, some directories in Common Files, Program Data, hidden subdirectories of user with the relation to the Solid Edge, Unigraphics etc.

There are bunch of threads with the great input by Rick and others.

It my not make much diference, but I clean my Temp and Tmp variables directories every night.

Milan.

www.aaaengineering.com

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2017

Bob.

You are running you head against the used protocols.

altough the files may apear as a shared folder in Explorer, the data is located remotely, outside the office. This will, regardless of the file type, cause delay due to latency. The higeher the chattiness of the protocol used, the worse it will get in terms of performance.

An other issues is the fact that SE will download the files to memory each time you open the files, causing a lot of traffic and this is for every user individualy.

You might get perfromance improvment is you do something about reducing the network chatter and using local caching.

Reducing network chatter can be done in different ways, have a look at the thread about Flaoting License server (http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Floating-License-Server/m-p/268867#M...

For caching, you can look at the same appliances as well as BrancheCache (http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/network/dd425028.aspx / http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserverexperts/archive/2010/01/18/windows-7-branchcache-user-experi...

Both options should speedup your user experience.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com

[ Edited ]

Update on this SE across WAN issue:

We are still basically dead in the water after 2+ weeks since the data moved and 1.5 weeks after I got the attention of the corporate IT group. We have been running daily tests while running WireShark and other traces to track down the problem. They apparently have known there was a speed problem all along, but it was not a big deal until they moved our data and have to deal with SE hitting the WAN. 

They are running something called Steelhead on the WAN that is supposed to compress data and reduce the amount of data that has to be transferred, after it has been transferred once. This system has a 600 GB capacity for storage on our end. Steelhead is one of many items that is causing problems. So far the best performance I can get is to VPN into the servers from home and work, but that performance is still pretty bad compared to what we are used to with a local server on our network.

They are still working on the Citrix XenDesktop solution but apparently are having issues with that from a graphics standpoint. We tested it once and the file seemed to load extremely fast, but the screen wouldn't refresh to show the model. We could see that the model was up because the pathfinder was visible on the left side, but the open files window was still overlaying the graphics area. I am highly skeptical of this solution from a graphics standpoint, but we will see.

Bob Henry

Bob,

This whole scenario makes my tiny little "one file" corruption to our very local NAS the other day, pale in comparrison....what an awful predicament you and your team [and ultimately, the company] are in!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10