Solid Edge BOM structuring

Hey all,

"Quick question" on BOM structures in Solid Edge. Coming from Inventor, there was the ability to mark assemblies as "Phantom" - meaning that if you placed the phantom assembly into another assembly, the BOM print out of the parent assembly would appear flat, but the sub-assembly could still be opened and edited independently.

For example if you had an assembly with 3 sub-assemblies, one marked phantom (composed of say 4 sub-components), and some number of sub-components, the BOM would come out looking roughly like:

Furthermore, would the parts list on a JT file reflect this?

Parent Assm

- Sub-Assm 1

- Sub-Assm 2

- Component 1

- Component 2

- Component 3 (Phantom Sub-Assm)

- Component 4 (Phantom Sub-Assm)

- Component 5 (Phantom Sub-Assm)

- Component 6 (Phantom Sub-Assm)

- Component 7

- Component 8

The relevant help page from AutoDesk: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

25 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge BOM structuring

Not totally sure I understand your dilemma but look at the "list control" tab in parts list properties and see if that clarifies anything. Also occurence properties on the components in the assembly(s).

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

The textbook case of "phantoms" in manufacturing are things that have multiple drawing levels, but are not processed or inventoried as an assembly.

The simple example is a progressive automotive die where a part will be stamped 3-4 times through different die sets. Each station needs it's own drawing, but there are no inventory moves or transactions beteween the levels because the process is so fast.

Similarly bolt/hardware kits are set up as phantoms, where the bolts are stationed line-side, and picked as needed, but in the CAD model the hardware is kitted by assembly function so it can be readily re-used. Marking the bolt kit as phantom allows designers to re-use the same kitted assembly where necessary without pulling in each individual hardware piece. However on a print or BOM the hardware would show up without being under the kit as the total of necessary hardware at that level.

@Sathersc86 If you mark an assembly as a weldment (Tools>Weldment) then by default it won't be expanded if you do an assembly report to produce a BOM. Unfortunately it won't prevent the full structure appearing in the JT.

[ Edited ]

@Sathersc86, I'm still not clear. Is the "kit" an item in itself in the cad database or just an abstraction?

For instance, part of the definition of phantom in the link is:

• They are ignored by the BOM.
  • They are included in assembly mass calculations
  • They are not numbered, and are not directly included in quantity calculations.

That could be handled in the items occurence properties.

This part I don't follow although:

• They influence the participation of their children in the BOM by promoting them in Structured BOM views. The children of a Phantom component are treated as siblings to the phantom component siblings, even though from a model structure standpoint, they are not.
  • The quantity of their children is multiplied by the quantity of the phantom component.

Bruce Shand

It's like bringing in a sub assembly that is composed of a bolt, a washer and a nut, but the sub assembly isn't listed in the BOM, but it does expand and list the bolt washer and nut.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Go into "list control" after right clicking your parts list and selecting properties. I believe you want to select your subassembly, tell it to expand it listing it's components.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

So, if I follow, in list control, at top level select "atomic list", "include" everything below it, and for each subassy "include assembly components".

Bruce Shand

No, I'm thinking more like this. In this case, I had the BOM expand the subassembly so it lists all of its components individually, but the subassembly isn't listed.

Capture.PNG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Interestingly, the result is the same.

Bruce Shand