Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge BOM structuring

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Except, if you do as atomic list doesn't it list all the parts in all subassemblies as well as the top level assembly?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In any event, doing these things is so much less complicated that it is in Inventor. I'm so happy that I'll never have to deal with creating new "levels of detail" or new "representations" or whatever again. Though iLogic is pretty sweet, and I love the way you can  just key in the variable you want to use while dimensioning things, and I like how it just starts at the beginning, first dimension will always be "d0" and next is "d1", so if you're dimensioning a component and you want the dimension youre placing to equal "d1" all you need to do is type d1. It's annoying to have to place the dim then deselect it then double click and paste the variable into the formula field, wish that part worked like inventor. But we don't always get what we want.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nominus38 wrote:

Except, if you do as atomic list doesn't it list all the parts in all subassemblies as well as the top level assembly?

Nope. I tried it both ways on a BOM I happen to be working on with several subs and the results match.

Other than that, I have never had the pleasure(?) of using Inventor so have no first hand basis for comparison.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer
Bruce - there's no shame in failing to understand any help topics written by Autodesk. Their help and error messages are the worst. I've seen error messages end in "do you wish to proceed" with the options "no" and "cancel" - how do I say yes?.

Essentially the sub assembly exists for "CAD purposes only", meaning when you put the BOM on the print you'll see the BOM of the phantom in the top level assembly without the phantom level. So the parent BOM will appear flat, even though from a CAD model tree perspective there is another assembly model contained within. The phantom assemblies BOM is just multiplied by the quantity of the phantom to obtain the quantity, just like any other sub-assembly.

@Sathersc86, Thanks for your support Smiley Happy. I think what @nominus38 and I suggested will accomplish the same thing as the phantom BOMs. Again, if I'm correctly understanding...

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you need multiple BOM's this implies the need for multiple drawings. Each drawing using one assembly and one BOM. The BOM is the basis drawings are managed from a data base perspective.

This does not prevent you from combining the PDF pages into a single larger drawing. Also, this does not prevent you from including views/parts in the drawing that are not part of the BOM.

Out of all the things you could do to split up a BOM on one drawing, Splitting some of the instances of a single part is where the line gets drawn. Exactly that is forbidden based on how the software is organized.

@12GAGE, I'm not sure what you're getting at but you can have multiple BOMs on one drawing. From SE's perspective anyway. But that wasn't what we were talking about here.

Not sure what you mean by "splitting some of the instances of a single part..." but again don't see the relevance.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Because this is what the origional poster is trying to accomplish. They have sets of bolts they want to display seporatly from other copies of the same bolts in the same assembly.

That's not my understanding which is that I think he has assemblies of fastener sets that are not actual assemblies but just convenient "containers" for the fasteners around the general assembly or subassemblies. He wants to display not these assemblies but to show each unique fastener on the BOM as a line item with the quantity representing all the same fasteners represented in all the container "virtual" assemblies.

@Sathersc86, Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

@12GAGE, Upon rereading your second reply I think you are essentially correct but I think the problem is resolved. Display separately but list them in the BOM as fasteners with a total qty.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

Bruce you've got it. Basically I want to make easy CAD groups that flatten out from a BOM perspective. It's trying to get the EBOM and MBOM closer together as our new line of business is much more custom engineering so there's far more waste translating BOMs from one format to the other.