Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge BOM structuring

Good evening,

Do you guys use any ERP software? Apart from 15 years experience with Solid Edge, I have also about 9 years of experience with implementing and using ERP software. I would much rather manage phantom assemblies in ERP than in CAD software for various reasons.

Kind regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Pioneer
Pioneer

Good evening,

Yes - we have a highly tailored, if old, AS400 type (likely COBOL) build. We also (intentionally) run Agile 8.5 to do all of our PLM. We tried to make the switch to TeamCenter but found the interface too cumbersome for volume manufacturing purposes.

Our new product line is much larger and highly customer spec driven. It is no longer customer configured product that goes down an assembly line but will be built in specific build bays, with sub-assemblies coming to the bay rather than being line side. Much more like a ship is built than our traidional product line. It will be impossible to manage release into the ERP through our traditional Agile workflow, and project timelines are driving us to embrace JT files and 3D documentation instead of the traditional 2D prints - especially with regards to assembly files and build instructions.

We might even see if we can tie TeamCenter through Agile into our ERP system eventually to push the releases, or just release orders through TeamCenter. MRP will become a thing of the past as everything in this plant is switching to long lead PO based business.

To that point MBOMs like to be far more flat than EBOMs and are obviously geared more around operations than particular assemblies. Phantom functionality fits this naturally. Given SE's very close split for 1st/2nd mid-level CAD program it's unfortunately a functionality it lacks.

If you have any advice to this end, your insight woud be appreciated.

Sam

Good evening Sam,

Let me start off by saying the obvious. Having a large and very customer specific product line is a major challenge and can be a nightmare with regards to getting documentation and accurate BOM’s out fast enough. We manufacture wheat and maize planters and try very hard to satisfy customer’s needs by offering interchangeable configurations. Hats off to you guys.

Now to the point of BOM’s and phantom assemblies. We don’t distinguish between engineering BOM’s and manufacturing BOM’s. Over the years we have developed quite a strict and robust top assembly numbering structure which guide the designers in how their assemblies are structured. This structure is according to product configuration and the manufacturing process. So a BOM from Solid Edge gets imported into our ERP (we use Syspro) without any changes or modifications to it.

We have a lot of phantom assemblies and they are simply marked by a custom property in Solid Edge as a phantom assembly. When importing to Syspro this custom property tells Syspro that this is a phantom assembly and will then “flatten” the material allocations when job orders are created.

I hope this is clear enough, please ask if there are anymore questions.

Regards,

Theodore

Capture.JPG

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Our particular company designs one-off machines so we don't even have ERP or any computerized tracking system. Though we model and create BOMs in SE (but not all items automated and relational) much of our processes are people and document driven in a rather old school fashion. No manufacturing engineering, no purchasing department. Engineering generates POs, etc. It's a different environment than I've been used to most of my career.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Good evening Bruce,

One of my favourite things to do is to visit other factories. It always amazes me the many different ways factories are laid out and processes are managed. There is no single right way.

Regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If it ain't broke...

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200