''Solid Edge Best practices in touch screens'' - ??

Hello.

I've seem some of you enjoying the use of Solid Edge on multi-touch enabled tablets / laptops ... Is there a page / article / video with some tips n' tricks about that?

Thanks and Regards !

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8
18 REPLIES

Re: ''Solid Edge Best practices in touch screens'' - ??

Hi,

I suggest using tablet or laptop which has a pen, because you have a precision control over Solid Edge!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Here is the best practice --> Buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Seriously, we optimized Solid Edge for it -- we know the difference between the fingers touching the screen (for view manipuloations) and the pen (precise/select). it works awesomely. Anything else will be disappointing relative to the MS SP3. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Yeah. I always feel happy and confident with the SE performance on Surface Pro 3 and other touch-enabled ultrabooks. I'm impressed how lightweight some jobs can be on these devices. (BTW, Siemens could spread these nice ideas - the acquire of SP3 for new Solid Edge purchases, cloud data sharing, rental subscriptions, among others - to the rest of America, and why not, whole world. Smiley Wink  )

I'm also a touch-device user now (a thinkpad t440) and ST7 is really sweet and fluid on that . Lenovo allows to configure specific gestures for up to 4 fingers on Windows 8.1, and I'd like to try similar personalization inside Solid Edge too. I am looking for some nice capacitive stylus to make the experience even nicer. Besides it sounds counter-productive to use touch gestures approach on a laptop, in many cases we just don't need to use mouse all the time anymore. Showing up assemblies, changing configurations instantly, taking print screens and quick notes, presenting on externals monitors / TVs, etc. is a really interesting new way to communicate with clients and with shop floor nowadays. Smiley Happy

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

[ Edited ]

I love my Surface Pro 3... I wish I had a dollar for everytime I sweep my fingers across my 30" monitor now at work!

I was at a recent Microsoft Party in Manhattan, NY for Surface early adopters and was asked by Stuart Pitts Surface Pro Marketing manager what I used most, my fingers, the pen, or  my mouse... I couldn't remmebr because it's become so fluid I almost do it instictavely.

Well done Dan and Siemens on making Solid Edge work so well on the SP3 platform.

Bob

Hello,

I purchased a Surface Pro 3 recenty (i7, 8 GB RAM, 256GB storage) and really enjoy it.  I've got my home license of ST7 loaded.  I spend more time on my work machine (@xi workstation) so I'm still in a learning curve on the Surface.  Right now I'm using it with just my fingers and the pen. Are others using a mouse or a combination of pen/touch pad?

If you're looking for a Surface, I found the best deal at the Microsoft store.  You can do a bundle that includes the keyboard, a case, Office 360 and a 2 year replacement plan.  The standalone replacement plan is $99 and I think it's the best deal going.  They'll replace physical damage and if you get some horrible virus they cant' fix, they'll give you a new Surface.

By the way, for those who prefer the Windows 7 feel over Windows 8, our IT guy found a program called "Classic Shell" that you can install and can boot up into a Windows 7 like desktop.  Of course, you can turn it on or off, or jump right into Windows 8 screen on the fly.  It's a really cool little program.

On the topic of boot up, I can't believe how blazingly fast the Surface is a booting up - something like 8 seconds - 10 sec max.

I too would like to see a video of tricks etc. with the Surface.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Kyle,

Kevin Grayson did a fabulous presentation in Florida last month at a Simens event I went to.  I wish they had taped it for showing to the community here.

Maybe they can get him to do it again and get it up here.

Bob

"Kevin Grayson did a fabulous presentation in Florida last month at a Simens event I went to.  I wish they had taped it for showing to the community here."

I would love to see something like that.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

So I'm following this thread because we took advantage of the Siemens Promotion and bought a new SE seat and have already recieved our new Surface.

I have not yet installed SE and began to play with it just due to how busy we are...

But, we are hoping to use thsi to take quick sketches while in the shop or show operators designs and what nots..

I'd love to see someting official or even from another user on basic use of SE on the Surface...

Watching eagerly!!!

OK. Coolest feature of the Surface Pro 3 (just learned this!). While in Solid Edge or the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer, double click your pen cap (not the pointy end) twice. This will take a screen shot and put it in One Note ready for your markup. It is SOOOOO hot.

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development