Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge CAD Management

Phenom
Phenom

Last I looked...I think TC maintenance is less than SW EPDM maintenance and the initial cost are very close! Man Surprised

That might suprise people out there.

Before anyone here can even recommend anything I think you need to provide more information on your business needs and environment. Then we can start to talk about solutions.

Builder
Builder

I am new to my current work environment but I have worked as a design manager in the past and inplemented vault as the DMS, the company I am with now have asked for a system to manage the Cad data used by approximately 30 people within the design department. I don't think at this stage cloud based PLM is an option, a file based solution is what would be considered as opposed to a server database solution. Thanks again

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Anthony,

Talk to your VAR about the built in Solid Edge Solution called "Insight" as referenced in the other two posts. There are actually two flavors of it now. One that is OOTB and another that costs a little extra, but acts more like Teamcenter. Both use Microsoft Sharepoint as the back

end. The OOTB Insight solution will still be file/folder based, but stores the data in SQL Server. This facilitates fast searching/retrieval and revision control. We've been using it for almost 15 years. It takes very little effort on the server side to set up and get running. The enhanced solution (I don't know what they are calling it this week) takes more effort and will cost extra, but has more going for it.

If your VAR doesn't have the experience (and make sure they do) contact Ally PLM which is another Siemens VAR with a lot of Insight experience.

HTH,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

PLM World Member Genius

Insight

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/solid-edge/design/insight_features.shtml

SP

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/solid-edge/sp/

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

Would love to know the easy way to set up the free one built in

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Insight, which is included with the Classic/Premium licenses, requires a Windows Server with SharePoint Services enabled/installed and SQL Server Standard or higher (this may also be installed on the same server for small instalations). SQL Server Express is not suitable...

If you already have an on premise SQL Server running, you can use it.

Setup is fairly straight forward using the Insight Implementation Guide.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

PLM World Member Genius

Even a half-witted, self taught IT guy can do it if you can twist someones arm into giving you the documentation that they give the VAR's to set up their demo systems. I was a very early adopter and the VAR at the time had never installed Insight. I also didn't feel like paying them $20k to learn how.

With that internal document, I was able to set it up myself in a couple of hours. The hard part is deciding what attributes you want to index and search against. AND making your users input the data as well as organize your data. We didn't follow the lifecycle workflow layout.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

@KennyG @scott_lester,

"Setup is fairly straight forward using the Insight Implementation Guide."

To me that sounds a bit too optimistic. Better involve your VAR assuming you have one. Seems to me there's a lot of rather archane $hit for the uninitiated to implement including some subtleties within Sharepoint.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Genius

You are correct, there is a lot to think through as far as thinking about how to organize and set up. We didn't do it right the first time. But once we had a process figured out, it wasn't too bad for the real install.

The big thing was writing a VB to have "one stop shopping" for all data entry for attributes. We input data into one screen and it pushes the attributes into all the different locations in the Edge file. Then it syncs with Insight.

BUT...if he has some time and can set up a test system, it's a days work for a "simple" install. The best thing these days is to start off using the FREE VMWare software that allows you to create a Virtual machine/Server that you can do all your testing on if you so desire. I think Ken uses the Microsoft VM stuff, but we now run it all on VMWare.

Like I said, all VAR's are not created equally when it comes to PDM. Are current VAR has plenty of experience with Insight.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

I assume your VAR is also AllyPLM since we're both in Ohio.

We don't use any VB. Users just input properties by various means, usually property manager. There aren't that many we require. We only use a few custom properties regularly which we need to see in the Sharepoint or search interface and our BOMS and drafts.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200