Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge CAD Management

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@DavidChadwick, I think you misunderstood. I meant open as read-only thru the Sharepoint interface.

And I think that read-only option in the SE interface has been there a longer time than ST7.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

OK - some more info from our tehcnical team:

Solid Edge uses saved settings - so if you set "Open as Read Only" as the default in Solid Edge - when you open new Solid Edge documents from SharePoint (or from Windows Explorer) it will follow this setting.

Once in the document, if you decide you want to edit, then click on the button to request write access.

If you dont set “Open as Read Only” and save that as your default, when Insight opens the document, it will go for Check-Out. if that succeeds, the user has write access.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Portfolio Development}, {Siemens PLM Software}

No, I don't want it default, I want it selectable in Sharepoint like it is in Edge. Simple. Because sometimes you want read-only, sometimes you don't.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Genius

That sounds like a reasonable request - I have forwarded it to the product manager for Insight. At the same time we recommend you try the workflow ourlined above - we have several customers who have found this to be a good way of working

I tend to agree although that hasn't been the norm. I like not having files automatically checked out and purposely selecting check out after I open them. Hadn't considered setting read-only as default until you suggested it. That would also solve, I think, user complaints about unexpected check outs of files in an assembly they've been working on.

If we do go that way here then my particular request would be moot. In any case it's not high priority unless other users chime in for it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bruce Shand

@DavidChadwick, unfortunately read-only as the "default" is not really the default. When you open a model from within an assembly or by double-clicking a draft view the file opens checked out.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Genius

Try this: After you set "Open as Read Only" also select "All Levels", then Save As Default

Duh! Thanks.

Bruce Shand